Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Dealer refuses to re-nstall TPMS on new rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:09 AM
VinUnleaded

Default Dealer refuses to re-nstall TPMS on new rims

Last night Cowles Ford in Woodbridge installed my Flowmaster muffler on my V6. I asked him if they would mount my new tires and rims from amewrican muscle...the bullet replicas.
He said they would mount them but will not reinstall the tpms sensors from my stock tires.
Guess its time to hunt for a ford dealer with the ***** to reinstall these sensors!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:06 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealer refuses to re-nstall TPMS on new rims

ORIGINAL: VinUnleaded

Last night Cowles Ford in Woodbridge installed my Flowmaster muffler on my V6. I asked him if they would mount my new tires and rims from amewrican muscle...the bullet replicas.
He said they would mount them but will not reinstall the tpms sensors from my stock tires.
Guess its time to hunt for a ford dealer with the ***** to reinstall these sensors!

Probably a liability issue...
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

is that standard?
Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Are they the same size rim? If so, I can't understand why. All you do is take the band off one rim and put it on the new rim. Just make sure it is 180 out from the valve stem. If they are different size rim's, go to Napa, and buy new bands. I think they are 10 bucks each.

Kevin
Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Yea I have hears a few people having problems with Cowels Ford, I honeslty cannot seem to find a good Ford dealer in the MD/DC/VA are that has not at some time or another pissed me off. I would say my better experiences have been through Purvis Ford (Fredericksburg VA) and Waldorf Ford (Waldorf Md). Purvis would be the closer of the two for you. I actually need to see about having them put the sensors in my Foose 20s so if you do not mind putting up with the error coming up everytime you drive I am going to take my car in the first week of January and can let you know how it goes
Old 12-25-2006, 12:52 AM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

When I lived in Quantico, Virginia, I also had issues with Cowles Ford Dealership in Woodbridge. I see their service quality has not improved in the 6 years since I was there. With my F-150 I had at the time, had paint problems, and Purivs Ford in Fredricksburg treated me the best. They were on time with their service, and they would explain what was going on to the detail asked. years. I also Liked the Ford dealership in Mannassas. They were almost as good as Purvis.

Good Luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:07 AM
VinUnleaded

I just read an article and will post the link for your review, which states that even if the TPMS is transferred or purchased for larger tires, it will not work as intended, i.e. yes the low presure light will be off, but due to the higher PSI requirements of the larrger tire, the TPMS will now not indicate low pressure at the proper % drop...i.e. in other words, you will have to lose more air for the monitor to trigger an alarm. This is due to the inability to reprogram the TPMS...to accomodate and recognize the different threshold ofthe larger tires PSI...
Here is the article link:
http://www.tirereview.com/?type=art&id=78448
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

Had a similiar issue here in San Antonio. Was impressed enough with the V6 to buy an '07 torch red with 5-speed tranny as my 3rd Mustang (first V6). At the time I drove the car, it had 18" rims on it and looked great. While I was signing paperwork, someone comes in and says they finished switching the rims out. I was like...."WTF???" Come to find out, the car came with 16's and they wanted an additional $2k for the 18's they had put on it to make it show better. Since I didin't wanna pay $2k for factory wheels and planned to change to black wheels later anyway, I said forget it. When I took the car home, it kept alarming with "tire pressure monitor fault." Dealer refused to put bands on the new 16's and instead re-trained the computer so it doesn't check tire pressure anymore! What a pain though, b/c it took them 3 trips to the dealer before they figured the whole mess out!!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Dang, sounds like your dealer sucks, if you agreed on the car you were looking at you get the wheels. They needed to tell you those wheels didn't come with it, and that there would be issues with the computer changing the wheels. They owe you tpms sensors and bands, mounted for free and a loner car while it's being fixed! And any issues returning your new car back so the computer reads correctly is their issue, they should ofput the factory wheels back on.I had a dealer tell me that the price posted on the car was wrong, and it was 2k more, I said if your not going to honor the price advertised,I was walking . I got the car for less than the advertised price. What dealer was that so I can remember never to go there!!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
PAINTEDPONY
1st Gear Member

TPMS is this something that comes with mustangs?

Quick Reply: Dealer refuses to re-nstall TPMS on new rims