Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ordered the KW Variant III's today

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Default Ordered the KW Variant III's today

The last piece of my suspension setup was ordered this morning.
$1725 shipped and they had them instock. I was able to get a price down to $1670 but they would have to be shipped from KW in germany and that is at least 2-3 weeks. I need my car ready for the Febuary 2nd private track rental one of my clubs has.

I also drove up to BMR today to pickup the last of my BMR parts. I went in wearing my Lethal Performance shirt [sm=icon_rock.gif]and picked up the Level 3 control arm package. I even had the Chevy guys checking out the car as I left the facility.

In the end I went with the KW III's over the ground control becauseI rather have the Double adjustable setup then the CC plates.
I am looking to see if I can use the Ground Control CC plates with my KW setup. If that is possible I'll be able to have the best of both worlds.. Steed and SPC have strut mount plates that offer some camber adjustment from the top but from looking at both the KW's strut mount with its spherical bearing is a much better piece, even though it will have more NVH. I'm hoping to get some good images of the Ground Control unit and some instructions so I can see if it will work and how its built.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ordered the KW Variant III's today

that's a lot of f'n money for a street car. Seems to me you'll be spending all of your track day time making adjustments and tuning. i just don't see the point in that much money and effort on a street driven car. both scenarios are different. once you have it set up it's gonna suck on one or the other.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:59 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Its not going to be just a street car for long.. once I buy a new car in about 8month this will be a weekend warrior.

And the plan is to get CC plates so I ca mark presets based on testing. Street & strip will be easy to setup for.

The track will take a couple of sessions at each track before she gets dialed in and then tweaking will be much easier. I'm trying to get intouch with one of the local guys that is an auto-x expert and teachs driving classes. I want to sign up for a couple of the classes they have and see if I can get him to help dial in the car.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:01 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

K-Mac camber/caster plates have all the markings for recording adjustments.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Do you have any pics for the Kmac unit or a manual that is in digital format. I want to see what they use to hold the load from the strut. I'm looking for a more race unit with a bearing and not some bushing made for noise/vibration control. Plus I need to see if they will work the KW setup
Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I'll see what I can do. last time I went to their site it was acting screwy. They have the info at the shop. I'm going there tomorrow
Old 01-20-2007, 02:20 AM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

There's a trick with camber plates for multoiple settings...when you have your suspension set where you want it, take a .125 drill and drill a small hole through the top and bottom halves ( the movable and stationary paltes) and then each time you need to move them, you just use a .125 alignment pin and tighten the bolts.
I'm getting ready to order my VIII's and am really looking forward to it. You might spend a few times at the track getting them just right, but after that, with good data logging, you'll ber able to make the changes in no time. The learning curve is short here, if you know anything about what you're doing. If you don't, it won't take you long...this isn't rocket science. You'll learn that you have adjustability for not only street or track, but when on the track, you'll have adjustability for track conditions that can change drastically in the coures of a day. You can also adjust for future power increases, and you can adjust for different tracks all together, even in the course of a day. No two tracks are going to have the same settings, and depending on how technical you get, no two days at the same track will have the same settings. That's when it gets fun, is figuring all that stuff out. Record keeping is key to consistancy!!!!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Wow.. Look I order the VIII's and now everyone wants to copy me... [8D]
Old 01-20-2007, 01:27 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

not me! admittedly i'm much too lazy. I prefer to get in my car, drive it to the track, run it, and drive it home. your car might handle a little better than mine, but i'll be havin fun out on the track while your'e f'n with yours in the pits lol
Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

What you mean to say is while my car is lapping you at the track you will be packing up to head home.. [8D]
My car will have a full suspension shortly. This spring will be the chassis stiffening and I will see what is needed as far as sway bars from actual track time. I see no point in buying into any hype on who has a better one until I see how the car handles and what kind of tweaks she needs.

I could set the car height, set the damper/rebound settingsand be on the track in less then 30 minutes with just a friend helping. I don't know about the Caster/camber yet as I have not gotten info on the K-Mac units. I see they have a briefnew product posting in the K-mac website but can't find a dealerhere that has them ordetailed info on them. I need to make sure they will work with the KW first.

But that would be a 5 minute adjustment if they are a plate design that can be changed underload.

Yes the first couple times running the car will be tons oftesting and tweaking. And yes when heading to a new track I will fool with my settings lot. But after running at the track and logging my settings. I assure you at most I would be tweaking things between sessions. Not missing sessions to work on the car.

I actually like being able to keep speed up in the corners so that I canreally strech her legs on the long straights..
For me I love driving my car, but I assure you its even more fun when you can go back to the pits and make adjustments and then head back out andtry toget better handling/faster times.

Quick Reply: Ordered the KW Variant III's today