Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

brake upgrade recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:52 PM
pooman

Default brake upgrade recommendations

I want to upgrade my GTs front brake setup and have read a few threads about s550 brakes, and a few about using 07-08 gt500 brakes so my biggest question is, is there any real difference? From what I have gathered price is very similar, so does one preform better than the other? Tia
Old 10-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What year is your GT?

What size wheels are you running, and are they listed to clear the GT500/Brembo calipers?

Norm
Old 10-15-2021, 09:41 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

GT500/Brembo set up with the 14 inch Rotors are the 4 Piston and as Norm mentioned do need a wheel that will clear the caliper.
The S550 Brembo Set up is a 6 Piston Caliper and will still need a 19 inch wheel that clears the caliper.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:47 PM
pooman

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What year is your GT?

What size wheels are you running, and are they listed to clear the GT500/Brembo calipers?

Norm
Sorry for the lack of info, It's a 2006, I'm running 20x8.5 I don't know the offset or if they're known to clear however, they are American Muscle MMD five spoke design. They fit flush to the fender, however if I had to run a spacer then it's fine, I've heard that its pretty common to have to
Old 10-17-2021, 07:39 AM
Stutz427

I just completed a setup on an 08 gt vert. I had 18” original Ford wheels and the new Ford/Brembo 4 piston kit would not fit. So I had to get a new set of American Muscle wheels with the proper spacing. Its the offset thats critical. My kit was easy to install since it had everything. Backing plates, bolts, rotors, calipers, lines etc. As to the improvement? I would have to say somewhat marginal. The old brakes were not bad but I thought installing the Brembos would be a vast improvement. I would say maybe 10% better but as of yet I have not had to do a panic stop, or noticed things better on continued use. As of yet I did not upgrade the rears since that is a bigger jod and I need to order the brackets and rotors for the big rotor upgrade. Hope this helps. BTW I have about $1,800 into this upgrade. $800 for the kit (special deal from a forum member) &800 new wheels and then I needed to change the tires and which required new tps sensors.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For fitting the 14" SVT/Brembo brakes on a GT it's the contour of the back sides of the wheel spokes that's critical, not the offset per se. 2008 GT500 wheels were 18x9.5, ET+45.

Stopping power - as far as the brakes giving you good 'bite' is concerned, that's more a function of pad compounding than rotor diameter. Rotor diameter gives you a little more mechanical advantage, but it's a smaller effect than increasing the coefficient of friction of your pads. Just that you're likely to end up with more dust and some noise.

Bigger rotors are really for repeated hard braking - think tracking and canyon running here - as opposed to the "once and done" nature of hard braking on the street.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-17-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:33 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

For fitting the 14" SVT/Brembo brakes on a GT it's the contour of the back sides of the wheel spokes that's critical, not the offset per se. 2008 GT500 wheels were 18x9.5, ET+45.

Stopping power - as far as the brakes giving you good 'bite' is concerned, that's more a function of pad compounding than rotor diameter. Rotor diameter gives you a little more mechanical advantage, but it's a smaller effect than increasing the coefficient of friction of your pads. Just that you're likely to end up with more dust and some noise.

Bigger rotors are really for repeated hard braking - think tracking and canyon running here - as opposed to the "once and done" nature of hard braking on the street.

Norm
With the Pads I am running the Brembo brakes are not any better than the stock brakes until they have some heat in them. I have never gotten the ABS to kick in going straight but the best the the Accelerometer recorded with the stock brakes was 1.0 and the Brembo set up is 1.14 and that wasn't doing anything but following a C7 Vette across the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What pads are you running? You should be able to get the ABS to kick in with any pad of OE or higher friction coefficient. But the way they 'feel' on the way up can and does vary with pad mu (coefficient of friction).

Norm
Old 10-17-2021, 06:34 PM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

What pads are you running? You should be able to get the ABS to kick in with any pad of OE or higher friction coefficient. But the way they 'feel' on the way up can and does vary with pad mu (coefficient of friction).

Norm
When I am on the Dragon I am running Hawk HPS but around town I have a set of Centric Ceramic pads. I guess I should have worded that better. I don't try to kick it in and do know how to drive without ABS. I have had a Front wheel kick in on some of our off camber corners driving easy on the street though.
I turn off the Nannies on the Dragon also.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Like many, I ran HPS pads on my '08 GT for a while. But I was never satisfied with their 'bite' - no better than stock. I have no experience with Centric pads or any mass-market ceramic pads. I switched to Carbotech when I started tracking my car and haven't looked back.

Off-camber curves??? My recollection from a Highway Design course I took way back when was that that was discouraged.

Norm

Quick Reply: brake upgrade recommendations