Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

22 inch rims!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Thanks for reviving this thread in the HANDLING section. I needed a laugh.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ewalls87
22 inch wheels fit fine on a mustang 22 are not big times any more lol think about it most mustang come with 19 or 20 in rims whats wrong with going up in rim size an down in tire size the ride wont be great but hey its a mustang there not good with pot holes anyway.
What's wrong with it?

For one thing, you aren't going to find 27" tall tires in 22's that have enough load capacity. You'll be well over 28" before you can match the OE tires for load capacity. Whether you like to hear this or not, load capacity is more important than your appearance preference.

For another, it's still going to look 'rice', because even a big brake kit with 15" rotors is going to look puny back there.

You asked . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-07-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What's wrong with it?

For one thing, you aren't going to find 27" tall tires in 22's that have enough load capacity. You'll be well over 28" before you can match the OE tires for load capacity. Whether you like to hear this or not, load capacity is more important than your appearance preference.

For another, it's still going to look 'rice', because even a big brake kit with 15" rotors is going to look puny back there.

You asked . . .

Norm
It's a battle you can't win sir.

There should be an auto-lock after a certain period of time...
Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
It's a battle you can't win sir.
On this specific-individual level, chances are that neither one of us will ever know that for sure. Nor will we ever know how it might have influenced people who only happened to read through this thread without contributing to it.

If I see something like this and don't speak up, I will know that I gave up, and that would be worse than "losing".

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-07-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

It's a generational thing. Kids love them some BIG STUPID WHEELS.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

It is just unreasonably stupid to go beyond 20". Available brake packages don't warrant it, neither does performance gains since there aren't any measurable improvements...in fact you would only be able to measure negative performance hits. Even if you fit the appropriate tire for load and speed capacity.... any benefit from engineered tire construction, tread design, sidewall reinforcement, and compounds are negated by the extreme that leaves little surface area for benefit of any advancements in these areas. And in order to benefit you need to use all those categories.

Even with the current push from Formula Racing tire providers to go to larger wheels and wider tires there are limits with the physics when you just go too large. At which point you would need to consider using non-pneumatic solutions. But with such large overwhelming wheels which are on the verge of DubbStepping rather than performance.... Well....

My father used to have a term that described the results rather fittingly.

That ride looks like a Circus Wagon. Suggesting the Driver of course... must be a clown.

BOOM
---
Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 AM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

There's a dude in my neighborhood that has a 08 V6 that he has on 22" rims and every time I look at it I think of my brothers 4X4 truck. And then I think god my 20's don't look like that on my mustang, you can see the difference from 22" to 20's especially if your not lowered.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

I've got the factory 22s on my Edge Sport and they look massive on that thing. They look great...but massive. I can only imagine what they'd look like on a stang. Lord help that stang ' s suspension and brake system.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 AM
Bdavis9218

If you are going to go with 22sy suggestion would be to go with a 245/30zr/22 tire. I have 22s on my 2001 V6 and they look great and it also runs great. 20s in my opinion are only nice if you have a wide 10/10.5 inch stagger. When I put my rims on I didn't have to do any lifting or lowering at all. I can still make u turns without scrubbing. The only caveat is more weight but all in all only about 50-60 lbs total. Which is nothing to a vehicle. I still made my road trips I just be sure to stay at the speed limit. Most definitely put the 2s on your pony. If you have the right size tire you will have noooo problems trust me!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:01 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

look silly and probably ruin the handling

Quick Reply: 22 inch rims!!