Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Will this be ok on my stock suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM
kc0sta

Default Will this be ok on my stock suspension

not really into suspension but want my car lowered

-if i get these shocks/struts
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...-and-rear.html

-and these springs
http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...pring-set.html

just wondering if this will make my suspension worse untill i get sway bars or better? and will my other stock suspension parts hold up till i get my sways and lca's
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Will this be ok on my stock suspension

I've been researching this alot lately as I'm planning on upgrading my suspension. Seems like adjustable LCAs, camber boltsand an adjustable panhard bar are also pretty important.

Chack this thread out, it answered a lot of my questions (big thanks to CrazyAL).

https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 PM
kc0sta

yea im getting that too ...but at a later time ...just wondering if i can put shock/struts/springs in first then alil later get the lower control arms panhard bars and sways

all i am asking is if my stock suspension will hold the aftermarket shock/struts/springs ?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Easy answer is yes. But like the thread states you really want to get some more parts to support your swap. And you can get the tokicos here

http://www.hotpart.com/index.php?p=show&id=131
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 PM
kc0sta

wow! thank you howarmat ....just saved me about $150 on the same product ...lol yea i might just buy the shock/strust/springs then wait untill i get my panhard, LCAs, and sway bars
Old 04-04-2007, 09:55 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The sportlines are a VERY low drop. In my opinion it is too low for practicality.

But if you like the height that is all that matters, but be aware that when you lower the car, especially that low, you are throwing a lot of things out of whack. If all you are buying is the springs and the shocks, then yes, your suspension will be much worse.

For lowering that low you will need:
Springs
Adjustable LCAs (to correct your pinion angle--if you don't get these you will have drivetrain vibration and greatly accelerated driveshaft joint wear.)
Adjsutable panhard bar (to recenter the rear end. Without this your left rear wheel will be sticking out while the right one will be stuck inside the fender. This loads the rear springs sideways and can damage them)
Camber bolts and a front-end alignment (to correct your camber..if you don't do this your front tires will wear out VERY quickly and your steering and braking will be seriously diminished.)
Bumpsteer correction kit (not needed for other drops, but important with Sportlines--the drop is so low it throws the steering out of whack.)

The rear sway bar is a great upgrade, but it has nothing to do with lowering your car.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
kc0sta

alrite .....i just want my car to be leveled with the front .....right now my end is too high and i hate it .....if 1.5" does the job ill do it .....and i also like it lowered cause it looks more aggressive when i put my 305 tires in the back .......

what kind of springs do you recommend that will make the car sit nice but not wack out my whole suspension so i have to buy all sorts of parts to support the drop ?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

my H&R race springs are a drop close to Sportlines - you will definately need a bumpsteer kit and panhard bar.

also, be careful choosing third links when you are that low. My Metco uca has to be replaced because of clearance issues with the body. it smacks the trunk floor constantly.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kc0sta

alrite .....i just want my car to be leveled with the front .....right now my end is too high and i hate it .....if 1.5" does the job ill do it .....and i also like it lowered cause it looks more aggressive when i put my 305 tires in the back .......

what kind of springs do you recommend that will make the car sit nice but not wack out my whole suspension so i have to buy all sorts of parts to support the drop ?
If you just want your car to be level, then don't touch the front at all. Just get the Roush springs for the rear only. That drops the rear and gets it level.

Pretty much any lowering is going to require other parts. But the Sportlines you mentioned are a very low drop and thus they entail some of the most work to fix things once installed.

Rear only: you need the rear springs, adjustable LCAs, and probably the adjustable panhard bar. Shocks would be nice but not required.

Front & Rear, but a more standard drop: same as the above, plus camber bolts & a front-end alignment. You need shocks as well.

Really low likethe Sportlines: Same as above but 100% certainty on the panhard bar. Also bump-steer correction kit. As Rodeoflyer said you have to be careful with your component choices at this low of a drop.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

My .02, Steeda Ultralites will drop the rear about 1.5" and the ride stays close to stock. But as mentioned, do the rest of the rear susp upgrades to keep everything in line.