Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

X brace Behind rear seats Invention!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default X brace Behind rear seats Invention!

Do you guys no how when we pull down the rear seats down theres a big whole and you cann see the trunk soo you can fit larger items when needing to transport something. well i was thinking i never use it soo why dont i weld in a X kind of like a roll cage but behind the seat on the frame stiffing up the body anyone ever try that?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:37 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: X brace Behind rear seats Invention!

ttt
Old 08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v8pilot

Do you guys no how when we pull down the rear seats down theres a big whole and you cann see the trunk soo you can fit larger items when needing to transport something. well i was thinking i never use it soo why dont i weld in a X kind of like a roll cage but behind the seat on the frame stiffing up the body anyone ever try that?
v8pilot,

That would be a perfectly stupidway to waste good tubing. The S197 coupe chassis is more than stiff enough to handle anything you are going to do with it on the street short of driving off a cliff. What would the point of this X-brace be? There are no suspension components there that could possibly have their location improved by this brace.

HTH!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Wolfmeat

How about this:

http://www.strangedevelopment.com/ZBrace2.htm
Old 08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

There you go do you think that would make a difference
Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

There you go do you think that would make a difference
Hi v8pilot,

What do you not understand? Not on this chassis! Why do you think you need to reinforce this area? There are no suspension mounting pointsin this area so therearenosignificant loads being introduced there anyway. This areais not a rectangle it is an oval and is very stable with no significant load being put into it. The only loads being put into it are from the rear dampers and they areboth on the bottom of the oval,how is the oval being distorted? As Isaid before there is absolutely no reason to addany sort of structural component to this area period.

HTH!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 AM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Reason being back when i had my bmw 3 series the coupes would have fold down seats which would actually flex verse the 4 doors that didnt have fold down seats and was supported by metal. i could actually hear the flexing of the seats and chasis. so i thought it would be the same reason. so another question for you a roll cage would add structural stability= better responsive characteristics?. + better chance of living after crash.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Reason being back when i had my bmw 3 series the coupes would have fold down seats which would actually flex verse the 4 doors that didnt have fold down seats and was supported by metal. i could actually hear the flexing of the seats and chasis. so i thought it would be the same reason. so another question for you a roll cage would add structural stability= better responsive characteristics?. + better chance of living after crash.
Hi v8pilot,

Most BMW chassisare notoriously flexible and always have been, just like all of theprevious generation production Mustangs. The S197 chassis is different, it isquite stiff and needs no additional chassis braces for suspension location or to stablizechassis twist.

Don't crash if you can help it.

Cheers!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

ROFLMAO

I love when people award themselves engineering degrees and start making up parts.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

C'mon, dude. That was uncalled for. He made a good observation in general, and without knowing how specifically strong the new Mustang chassis is, it would be typically a good idea. I don't see anywhere where he called himself, or even pretended to be an engineer.
Here's a question. Have you, or F1, or anyone else here ever done an actual useful tortional evaluation on the S197 chassis?
I doubt it. Your"assumptions" about the stiffness of the new chassis are only heresay, just like 99% of the info hereon this site. But there are a lot of self-proclaimed experts, that's for sure.ROTFLMFAO
ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

ROFLMAO

I love when people award themselves engineering degrees and start making up parts.

Quick Reply: X brace Behind rear seats Invention!