Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Sam Strano help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Snakebyte94

Default Sam Strano help please

This is a question for Mr. Strano. Or anyone who could help. I have been driving mustang's for 16 years. I have done time trials at Bridgehampton, N.Y. and Pocono raceway in Pa. I've had a 1990 notch, 1995 V6, 1994 Cobra, and now an 07 GT. I also road raced all. Just for fun. I have been able setup the suspenion on all with no problems.

My 07 GT is a bit harder to get where I like it.I have Steeda front & rear comp. sway bars, front comp. end links, Rear lower billet arms. And D-spec's.
I have tried Steeda sport springs (to hard in the rear) but I like the stance. Then Ford racing springs (like the ride but too low). Now I have H&R's, a little high and has very little travel in the spring before they get hard.
I just picked up Bilstein'sto see if I can soften up the ride more. I want the car to ride good but be able to handle too. Next I'm thinking Steeda Ultra lites.
I would like the ride of the Ford racing springs with the stance of the steeda's

Am I on the wrong track. Please I need help with this car.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Snakebyte94

Default RE: Sam Strano help please

I hope everything is going well with your family Sam.

Well I put the Bilstein's with the H&R Sport springs. Did notlike them. It road like a truck. Also brought the car up a 1/4 inch for some reason. So back on went the D-spec's. I should have listened to Josh at Stangsuspenion.
I will from now on. They have alot of patience.
They are the greatest. Thanks so much for being there. And your understanding.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'd love to help you on this. I think I can too. What I'd need is to talk to you. Specifics matter, even down to things like tire type and pressures. What I'm wondering from your last post is how the H&R feel and work with the D-specs? Further add things like shock settings different style of LCA's(some bind)and you have a lot of parameters.....

I'm pretty sure I can help you with this, but would need a number of details that are really just too compliated to try and sort through by e-mail.

Feel free to call me aboutthis, we'll get you figured out (and maybe with some parts you have already)
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Garyalpusa

go to this link and keep reading. I think this fellow is a ford suspension engineer and owns and mods on 05 mustang. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nsion-kit.html
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Gas pressure in the Bilsteins, or even a slightly higher gas pressure than what was in the previous shocks/struts will tend to increase the ride height slightly. A quarter of an inch is entirely possible.

Removing "bind" from the rear suspension will reduce the amount of side-to-side head-tossing that happens when you cross things like speed bumps and drainage gutters at an angle, if that's part of the ride quality issue that you're trying to resolve. I know that Sam has worked with (and around) this sort of thing before from the purely performance point of view.

Gary - I would not be at all surprised to find out that the fellow you're talking about has also posted here . . . pretty sure he has, actually.

Norm
Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

In all honesty, I don't have time to try and type every single detail of every single part. Even if I did have that time, the general response of "this is great" is very simplistic and not how I like do things.

If I can help please let me know. I think a call would be worth you time. I'm not an engineer, but I race with and against them (from all of the major companies, including Ford). I win against them too. I work in real-world experience, I do a lot of testing and tuning by trial and error.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Garyalpusa

go to this link and keep reading. I think this fellow is a ford suspension engineer and owns and mods on 05 mustang. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...nsion-kit.html

Hi Garyalpusa,

Naw, that guys is a regular car nut that worked in the performance autoparts business for a while, he is me!

Cheers!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Snakebyte94

OK I'll call you Sam.