Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

New Strut Mounts Fixed my Thunk! (TSB 07-18-2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default New Strut Mounts Fixed my Thunk! (TSB 07-18-2)

My '06 GT had the front strut mount thunk since I purchased it. I found the TSB on this site by doing a search (I also found the thread with 96 pages discussing the thunk). Mine sounded exactly like "loose lumber" in the engine bay front passenger side when going over bumps at slow speeds. Well...I changed out the mounts today and its gone.

UPDATE: See below...

Last edited by Hicompression; 01-27-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Angry The Thunk is Back

7 months and 7,000 miles later the thunk is back.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 AM
paulsoo217
1st Gear Member

they always do. my car has been in the dealer for the same issue for like 6 times already...no hope!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

I'm looking in to new D SPECS, and will change out the strut mount to the Steedas when I change em', I currently have the same "thunk", front passenger side. Should my suspension mod fix the problem?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure the steeda mounts will fix the problem. I think they re-use the rubber ring from the stock strut mount which could be part of the problem.

As far as my issue, when I put the new strut mounts on 7 months ago, it was great! No noise. Apparently something in the "new" ones has now "broken-in" and the noise is back. Very frustrating because to eliminate it, I have to spend $100 at Ford for new strut mounts that will probably wear out in another 7 months. Installation isn't the easiest thing either. I'm going to check my sway-bar end links just to make sure they haven't come loose.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:20 AM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone tried the 07 GT500 mounts...I ordered a set from mustang unlimited and have not received/installed them yet. They're supposed to be 30% stronger than stock gt mounts.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Latemodel Restoration Supply also sells the factory GT500 mount. I'm about ready to try it too...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Dougie B

the "thunk" is from the plastic unsealed bearing that ford uses in the front strut mounts.

i never had the thunk, but was told to buy caster/camber plates that also work as strut mounts because after lowering the stock mounts tend to fail. the rubber ring was reused however everything worked out because the new strut mounts have sealed metal bearings.

i had bought the maximum motorsport plates from american muscle, and they work great! however i also called steeda to ask them about their strut mounts, and they assured me it would end the thunk, but i stayed with the mm ones instead.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Hicompression- The strut mounts on Mustangs Unlimited has the same part number as the TSB redesigned ones. Most likely the same thing.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLO
Hicompression- The strut mounts on Mustangs Unlimited has the same part number as the TSB redesigned ones. Most likely the same thing.

Yes, but I was going to get mine from Latemodel Restoration Supply. They have two different strut mounts listed. One for the Mustang GT and one for the GT500.

I will probably look into the Maximum Motorsports CC plates even though I'm not lowered.

Quick Reply: New Strut Mounts Fixed my Thunk! (TSB 07-18-2)