Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Offer I can't refuse? Tokico, Eibach, BMR, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default Offer I can't refuse? Tokico, Eibach, BMR, etc...

A friend from another forum offered me a brand new in the box suspension set upfor $750:

1. Tokico D-Spec Wide-Range Adjustable Shocks & Struts Package with Remote Adjusters

2.Eibach Anti-Roll Kit-front/rear sways

3. BMR Fabrication Tubular Adjustable Panhard Bar (w/ Rod Ends)

For an additional $100, I can alsopick up aBMR Fabrication Strut Tower Brace.

ALL PARTS ARE NEW IN BOX W/ HARDWARE THAT NORMALLY COMES WITH EACH ITEM.

I can also purchase the parts singularly, ie, the shocks, but not the sway bars.

My application is for a DD with exceptional cornering ability (1/4 track & auto-xno more than2-3x/year).

I will have a s/c installed in June and the car will have over 420rhp.

Q: Is $700 a good deal for the three items listed?
Q: I know the shocks & panhard are definietly good upgrades, but are the sway bars worth it?
Q: Is the strut tower brace worth it? How does it help? Will it fit on the car with a Paxton s/c? For an extra $100, is it worth picking up?
Qo the parts above provide a significant handling performance upgrade over stock, or minimal? If the part doesn't significantly help with the overall handling performance of the car, I don't want to pay for it.

I posted the thread "HOW MUCH $$$ TO COMPETE IN THE TWISTIES..." I just want a well balanced sports car, nothing too over the top.

Any advice would be helpful!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Offer I can't refuse? Tokico, Eibach, BMR, etc...

I've been on AX tracks a lot this spring and for this use, IMO, the sways are not needed. The D-specs are great. PHB, sure, I have rod/polly combo and NVH increase was virtually nil. Strut tower brace, um...waste of money. Dampers, street comp or r-comp tires and a good alignment will make the car handle very, very good. The rest is up to the driver.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 AM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

I just drove the stang for a 200 mile round trip to pickup the suspension parts. I called theseller offered him $800 for thePH Bar, Tokico's, Strut tower brace, and Eibach front/rear sways. Alll were brand new in the box, with matching part numbers. The seller was also a very nice guy.

Sway bars not needed? While driving back I was cruising anywhere from 75-120mph. The nose was dipping left and right and there was body sway when I would purposely jerk the wheel left and right.

Are you saying the sway bars won't aid in tightening the car around whip turns?

Strut tower brace not wirth $? I got it for $50 extra bucks (+ gas to get out there = 1 tank)

Why is the tower strut brace worthless IYO?

If the sways and strut are not significant handling performance mods, I will resell them or trade them for LCA's & UCA's!

IYO, are Control Arms > Struts & Sways?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i'd keep the rear sway, but sell off the front sway. the our cars have really bad under steer tendencies so by restricting roll in the back, you are able to shift the tendency a little more toward over steer than under steer (a GOOD thing IMO). another way to further promote over steer instead of under steer is to make sure tires are the same width on all corners, if you have thicker tires on the back it'll grip more and the front end will lose grip first (make the car "plow").

the front end of our cars is already really stiff, the strut tower brace does virtually nothing. you'd need to be running an r-compound tire for it to help at all. if you like the look (i know i think they look pretty cool, if they are a bit useless) and picked it up for $50, i'd go ahead and put it on. if you don't want anything that doesn't improve performance and you don't want to add unnecessary weight, i'd try to sell the strut tower brace for $10-20 more than you bought it for and use the $60 to buy a Steeda G-Trac brace that will tighten up the front end much better. depending on the s/c, the tower brace won't fit any way... if you get a centri, it'll probably be fine, but if it's a roush, saleen, kenne bell, whipple, etc. it won't fit.

again, the sway bars will help body roll, but they won't do anything to stop nose diving when braking or squating when accelerating. you have to be careful not to make the front too much more stiff than the rear or else you'll plow every turn. also since you're adding an s/c, that's a lot more weight on the front which will promote under steer even more.

control arms better than struts & sways? when you say struts are you talking about shocks/struts (dampers) or a strut tower brace? dampers are pretty much the best suspension mod you can do... definitely keep those tokico's you got. if i had to pick between new LCA's/UCA or front/rear sways, i'd take the control arms first and add the sway later.

so... if it was me, i'd sell the front sway bar and use the cash to try and buy some poly/rod end LCA's and then sell the strut tower brace and buy a Steeda G-Trac brace. next up do a UCA. that's just me though.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:00 AM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

I got the BMR panhard bar, do I need to purchase a PH brace to install it on my ride? OR is there already a factory panhard brace?

Also,

Anyone in the market for a brand new in the box BMR strut tower brace or Eibach Front sway bar brand new in the box?

Trade for adjustable LCA's, PH brace, & UCA's?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I've had 3 national championship level guys drive my car along with several very good regional drivers (talking AX here). Not one of them has anything but praise for the handling and I have stock sways. I'm not doing 120 mph turns but the principles are the same (although I will be at Pocono later this month). The D-Specs and Eibach springs really tighten things up, along with the tires and good alignment...thats all she needed. Can I understeer? absolutely but thats my mistake, not the car's. At this point on my car I have no need of a stiffer rear sway (as noted above, front is definitely not needed).

PHB Brace - yes there is a stock one. Do you need to replace it - I did, but there are mix opinions on the subject. I can't say I really noticed any difference.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

I've had 3 national championship level guys drive my car along with several very good regional drivers (talking AX here). Not one of them has anything but praise for the handling and I have stock sways. I'm not doing 120 mph turns but the principles are the same (although I will be at Pocono later this month). The D-Specs and Eibach springs really tighten things up, along with the tires and good alignment...thats all she needed. Can I understeer? absolutely but thats my mistake, not the car's. At this point on my car I have no need of a stiffer rear sway (as noted above, front is definitely not needed).

PHB Brace - yes there is a stock one. Do you need to replace it - I did, but there are mix opinions on the subject. I can't say I really noticed any difference.
You say all you need is springs and shocks, but then you say you have the PH Brace. What's your set up? Do you have LCA's? How much HP?

I am fixin on selling the front sway bar and strut tower brace(which is really a beautiful/sexy piece particularly for shows) so I can get LCA's and then I would consider myself done with it for the time being.

For handling performance, I am of the mind that LCA's > Front sway & strut tower brace.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

good choice, man.

and yeah, he probably also has an adj. panhard rod... you have to if you have lowering springs (which he does).
Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texotic

if it was me, i'd sell the front sway bar and use the cash to try and buy some poly/rod end LCA's and then sell the strut tower brace and buy a Steeda G-Trac brace. next up do a UCA. that's just me though.
What does the g-trac brace do?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

My total Suspension mods: Springs, D-specs, camber plates, adj UCA, adj PHB and brace, light wt 17x9 wheels and street comp tires, 2 degree negative camber, slight toe out. I have not installed LCAs because they throw me into a higher AX class.

The Springs, dampers, tires and alignment are the biggies. The others are much more subtle and thus why I didn't point them out in previous post. Sorry if that was confusing. HP is stock + 93 Tune and intake.

The G-trac brace ties the front K-members together. On a Vert its standard (I believe) because the chassis is more flexible. I've seen mixed opinions on its value, especially for stock HP cars.

Quick Reply: Offer I can't refuse? Tokico, Eibach, BMR, etc...