Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Body flexing because of driveway...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default Body flexing because of driveway...

Ok, my suspension setup has been on the car for about a year now. Everything's nice and supertight.....I love the way the car handles. But I'm starting to having an annoying issue now. My driveway comes off of the street with that typical suburban "ramp curb" as I call it. Now, because of the car's lowered stance, I can't go up onto the driveway or come down off of it without going at an angle. Otherwise, the front lip catches the concrete. After about a year of this, I'm starting to notice lots of creaking and small popping noises out inthe rear passenger side of the car. I've also noticed that the rear quarter panel is not quite lining up with the rear bumper piece like it still does on the driver's side.

What seems to be happening is that my car's lack of "flexibility" is starting to negatively affect my body panel alignment. I'm about to have to get back there and see what fasteners/bolts/studs have loosened so I can try and get them tightened back up. I'm just curious is anyone else has experienced this problem after doing an aftermarket suspension setup on their S197. If so, what did you have to do to remedy the problem?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Body flexing because of driveway...

A lack of flexibility is *improving* the panel alignment, versus not having it in the first place. Cars still get old, even when they have braces improving body strength.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I think I misread your original post; I read the lack of flexibility as braces added to the car, not stiff suspension. More bracing will improve the body stiffness and reduce body panel flexing. Strut tower bar, k-member brace in front. Maybe convertable braces in rear, although I'm not sure they will fit.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'd recommend the K-member brace, STB, and a set of Subframe Connectors.

I have worked with UMI to make all 3 (and it's not like the K-brace was hard). There is a picture of the STB on my website here: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...&ModelID=5

The SFC's are not yet shown as I'm waiting for pictures and final specs (which reminds me I need to see what's up there).

And of course we have parts from other companies as well... Steeda and Edelbrock both have forms of chassis bracing. Though what we have come up with are full length connectors and much beefier than the Edelbrocks that look like pipe cleaners in comparison.