Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front suspension clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

Default Front suspension clunking noise

I am sure this have been posted before, but the search function is not working, so here it goes.

My suspension upgrade was 2 months ago, this morning I noticed a clunking noise when driving over bumps in the road or throught the shock and vibration course at work (actually it is just or poorly surfaced parking lot) I know that I have read post about the front endlinks causing this. Are there any other locations I should check when I get it up on a lift this weekend?

I am almost positive that it was from the front, the two other people whoI forced to ride around with me also thought left front.

Any help would be appreciated,

Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Front suspension clunking noise

It's likely the endlinks. You don't need a lift to check. Just turn the wheel and stick your mug in there. One is likely dangling around lol.

It happens to all of us at least once. 3 times if you have Granatelli endlinks.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

There is nothing loose, We did some trouble shooting today... drove around, bounced on the front bumper, looked under the car. Nothingwas visably loose. Couldn't repeat the noise. If I hit something like a man hole cover, or expansion joint on an overpass I could hear the clunk. Otherwise I couldn't hear anything.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
tommyboy45
1st Gear Member

TSB 07-18-2

Many of us had that problem about 2 years ago. I had it on my '06 GT from the moment I drove it off the lot.

Last summer Ford issued the TSB 07-18-2 and a newly redesigned strut mount (bearing as they call it). I, and many others had it done and it completely solved the clunking (thunking sound) that occured over manhole covers, small curbs, cracks in the street, etc. It was really a frustrating sound until I got it fixed. Almost a whole year now and clunk free!

Get it fixed and enjoy the ride!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:38 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

My suspension is no longer stock, so I don't think the TSB will work for me. A friend and I are going to try and figure this out over the weekend. Maybe I need to apply more grease to the Steeda upper strut mounts? The steeda coilovers are modified tokicos and I have the steeda front swaybar, but reused the stock endlinks. All the nuts were replaced and torqued.

I'm hoping that its as simple as re-torquing fasteners will help.

my wife has not stopped calling me a dumbass since I confessed about the clunking noise
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
tommyboy45
1st Gear Member

Do the Steeda upper strut mounts have their own rubber mount or did you use the rubberring from the oem strut mounts? I heard someone who had aftermarket mounts used the oem rubber ring on their new mounts and thatwas what causing the cluncking. The newly redesigned strut mount is really just a reformulation of the rubber ring.

If the Steeda upper strut mounts have their own rubber mount, then you are right that the TSB won't help.

When mine was cluncking it sounded like an old car with 150,000 miles on the front end parts.

Hope you figure it out.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

I have the coil over suspension not just the Tokicos with lowering springs. You have to used their upper strut mount when installing the kit, but unlike just replacing the MacPherson struts with different struts and springs you don't need to reuse the factory rubber isolation mount. I wish I had the instructions to look at again but they are MIA.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:51 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

I have the clunking noise too.

From what I can tell, I hear the clunking coming from the front of my car only when I travel over bumps and/or uneven pavement.

I took my car back to the shop that installed everything and they tighten everything up for me a couple months ago.

I could drive over practically anything within reason and my car's suspension was so quiet, but now the clunking is baaaaack.

I don't know if it's my Steeda Upper Strut Mounts or what, but it sounds like a clunker anytime Idrive over imperfections in the road.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I've read in another thread that it could be the endlink design. Apparently there are two sizes and the updated link solves the clunking.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

For now the problem was fixed by tightening the upper strut nuts and one of the endlink nuts that had come loose. Now I know, and will just have to check periodically.

Quick Reply: Front suspension clunking noise