Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCAs Clunking???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:32 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LCAs Clunking???

I just switched back to the stockers yesterday and sure enough the noise is gone wtf? One big thing i always noticed was when I nuetral roll the car into parking lots and up to lights. When I ran stock Lcas it was no louder than if it were in gear but with the Steedas it had a hollow clunk over the slightest bump.

Now with the OE back on once again it's quiet. Now I was thinking that the reason it makes more noise and clunks is because of the Stiff Poly Bushings. My only concern is it sounds like a bad noise. From the sound AND what Norm says I don't think it can be good
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
attridgerm
1st Gear Member

Took mine off last weekend. Couldn't stand the clunking (everything had been torqued to specs and greased). Installed GT500 LCA's...no clunking or wheel hop and they came with all the hardware.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Damnit that's what I was thinking of doing too. It pisses me off to know it actually works haha. It sucks to get beat on $200 just to spend more for other LCAs. I'm going to try re-installing them again just incase (though like you I know everything was 100%)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Make sure that the bolts have enough thread. If you need more threads, using new bolts is better than cutting your own extra threads. Even using a couple of washers is probably better. Cut threads are not as strong as the rolled threads that I assume came with either the car or the kit.

If they use poly bushings, make sure that the poly is not longer than the inner sleeve. Otherwise, when it slips under rotation it will also slip in the fore/aft direction, take up the clearance, and . . . well I guess we know the rest.

I would also avoid getting any lube on the ends of the inner sleeves. You´re counting on friction to hold things in place, so getting any slippery stuff there does not sound like the hot tip of the day.

OE bushings on other cars I have seen use a toothed sleeve that´s longer than the rubber bushing for positive location. Maybe somebody will come up with something creatively similar.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-05-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:29 PM
attridgerm
1st Gear Member

Yeah, F1Fan advised me months ago to go with the GT500 LCAs...should have listened then. Would havesaved a couple of hundred bones and a lot of frustration.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

I've got the BMR fixed LCA's - no clunking at all. It seems a little louder/harsher but there's polyurethane and boxed steel back there, not rubber and stamped steel.

I seem to remember people were putting them in backwatds. IIRC correctly one end is bigger than the other...

Also are they adjustable? Do you have your jam nuts tightened down? Did you grease the bushings before installing?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Damnit just put the Steedas back on again and once again very frustrated. At this point idk what to do. I wish I could use the Steedas but it doesnt seem like I can. Is there ANY way the clunks could be caused by lack of grease? I def put enough but maybe I showed overdo it?

Also I was using the energy suspension grease from steeda but ran out. Can I use white lithium grease or are they much diffrent?
Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

I am going to have to guess here and say its the bolts. MOST of the bolts ford uses are crap one time use bolts. Go to the hardware store and pick up the proper grade 8 bolts,nuts, and washers to get the job done CORRECTLY.

Seriously most of the clunking noises are from the hardware not being correct. If BMR can't even send the correct bolts with their products that's some sh!tty customer service.

I used their swaybars and they didn't come with any hardware. Honestly all stock hardware should be replaced for grade 8 nuts and washers and loctite should be used on everything that's being reinstalled.

And too the poster above NO. DO NOT USE WHITE LITHIUM GREASE.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:09 AM
doc stang
1st Gear Member

Default clunkity clunk

i have the BMR combination LCAs, with the poly-end forward on the car, and the rod-ends rearward on the axle.

?1) does anyone have the exact nut/bolt/ washer specs/sizes i need to do this?
i want to make only one trip to the hardware store.

?2) which type/color of loctite??

I also have the BMR relocation brackets, but i doubt that makes a hill of beans of difference.

?3) lastly, probably a stupid question, but do the washers go on the rod-end bolts? or the poly-bushing bolts.

clunk-clunk.
2+ on embarrassing.

thanks.
doc

Last edited by doc stang; 10-03-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:53 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I had this clunking noise show up as soon as I put the Spohn half poly - half rod-end LCAs.
I think it's just driveline slop.
The reason I think this is because I only hear it when rolling with clutch in.
If I pull into my driveway with the clutch in I hear clunks when going over bumps.
If I leave it in 1st gear with clutch out and just use the brakes to control speed then the clunks are completely gone.
I put in a 1pc drive shaft but that didn't help. I did notice that when the drive shaft was out I could spin the transmission output flange back and forth quite a bit when the shifter was in 1st. There's a lot of slop in the tranny.

Quick Reply: LCAs Clunking???