Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCAs Clunking???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default LCAs Clunking???

I have recently put on Steeda LCAs. I have started hearing clunking noises around turns and bumps. Is it possible for the LCAs to make a clunking noise if theyre tightened down all the way?? I'm not a 100% sure where the noise is coming from but it sounds like the rear. I torqued them down to the proper specs and they feel totally tight and secure. Any way it could still be them making the noise???

Thanks, Scott
Old 06-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Kurupt Kustoms
1st Gear Member

Default RE: LCAs Clunking???

I put on the BMR LCA about a month ago......i also hear and feel the clunks......coming from rear and also under my feet.....also curious
Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

same here, every since i put my LCA's on....whenever I make a right turn over a bump or into a parking lot i get a loud knock. I cant figure it out.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:18 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Also here, after having BMR's third-link/relocation brackets, Spohns LCA'a ,and Steeda's Panhard-bar installed, I noticed the clunking. Took it back into the shop, they re checked the bolts andlubed up the bushings. Sound was gone, and now a couple months later its back.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:09 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Hmmm this is strange. At least I'm not the only one with the problem. Maybe I'll try taking them off and regreasing them. You think it would help? I thought I lubed them pretty good on install I used 2 of 4 energy susp. lube packets
Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Been fighting the clunking noise also for several months now. I'm hoping I finally figured it out (from other members on this board, but I'll share their wisdom). First, the factory upper control arm has a 16mm hole, but uses a 14mm bolt so if you replaced the UCA with a combo type there could be some of your clunking. Steeda sells a spacer that you install that takes up the gap. Also, I used BMR and apparently they use a 9/16 bearing. The difference between 9/16 and 14mm is about .011. Also enough to make a clunk. I've been told that they use the same size bearing on both UCA and LCA's of which I have both. So I just bought grade 8 9/16 hardware. Still need to replace it but I'm hoping for the best. The clunk is annoying as anything and actually embarrassing when you have someone in your car. Hope this info helps.

Joe
Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

Check to make sure the bolts are to nice and tqed down. If you have an adj. panhard make sure both nuts are tqed with 125lbs (thats what BMR specs said). Ive been hearing clunking when i looked under the car it wasnt the LCA's it was the pass. side nut on the panhard bar that spun out. So i put some loctight on it and havent had the problem. I hope this helps you all.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:15 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

You would think that BMR would use the right sized bearing, oh well.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I don't have the UCA or PHB. All I have are the Steeda LCAs. I just put it on ramps this morning and checked the LCAS. The offset is correct. The washersare correct. I grabbed them and tried to shake/simulate driving and turning (haha) and nothing. No motion. No noise. Period. Any ideas???...................the ONLY thing that could be wrong is they could be "slightly" off torque specs. I didnt do THAT exact of a job. As soon as it got real close I stopped wrenching. Though I don't think this could be the cause of the noise. right???
Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM
attridgerm
1st Gear Member

You can always ask Steeda directly eitheron their support forum http://www.steeda.com/forums/index.php?board=14.0by emailgofast@steeda.com or by phone 954.960.0774. Let us know what they say.

I have both the Steeda fixed UCA and LCAs and they have a barely audible, very slight "clunking" noise during up-shifting that is attributable to the stiffer bushings and thetransmittal of driveline "slop". I really, reallyhave to listen to hear it. Otherwise they are as quiet as the stockers.Info may not be of much help but thought I'd share it.

Quick Reply: LCAs Clunking???