Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Autocross suspensions upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 PM
wbw3r

OK. That is kinda what it looked like to me when I read the Rules. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wbw3r
Newbie question: Is it legal in F Stock to just add the Ford Racing parts that come standard on a Shelby GT to a standard Mustang GT? That would be the suspension, intake, mufflers, tune, and shifter?
I can answer all those (and probably all your other) questions...

Your answer is no. Because your car is an '06, and there was no such thing as a 2006 Shelby GT, you can't convert your car. If you had an '07, and cloned one with all the right parts (and nothing you couldn't have gotten that's not otherwise legal to change under stock rules) then you'd be ok. But, as is you have to set your car up around the stock configuration. I've done setups for non SGT's as well, in fact I daily drive one and have it set for F-stock. It's close to as fast as an SGT on average, and on certain courses--faster (read slalom courses). There are differences in the setup to work around the different springs and bars on the two cars.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:35 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Are the koni yellows adjustable?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Yes.

"Yellows" are also known as Koni "Sport" dampers.

Norm
Old 12-25-2008, 05:10 PM
GT_mike

I am in the same situation, I have a completely stock 07 GT and was introduced to autox this year. I am on a very tight budget for mods, so I would like to get the biggest bang for my buck without sacrificing my Fstock status. I am also experiencing lots of wheel hop and hoping that there are some mods that can help with this without bumping me out of Fstock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:55 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Get adjustable shocks/struts and some good tires. I have Tokico D-Specs on my car and I love them. Everyone who rides in my car mentions how well it handles. I have only used them on one auto-x event, but they made a HUGE difference. Better tires might help your wheelhop problem and will probably make the second biggest difference in auto-x times.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Mark33563

Not sure if this would qualify as an autocross question but I want my '06 GT to hug the corners. What could I change to help keep it planted? Right now it feel lose. My old '65 2+2 seemed to hold better in the corners.

Stiffer sway bar? Lower the car an inch or so?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

How are you defining "loose"? Are you doing anything with the throttle (or brakes) while turning?

What do you have for wheels (sizes) and tires (sizes and models), and what inflation pressure(s) are you running?

How many miles on the car?

My first "parts" thoughts involve shocks/struts. The S197 is several hundred lbs heavier than the '66, so the "feel" won't be quite the same even at the same cornering speeds on the same roads.

Norm
Old 12-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Mark33563

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
How are you defining "loose"? Are you doing anything with the throttle (or brakes) while turning?Norm
It feels as if the rear wants to slide. If I give it anything more than a little throttle, it spins out. Not as bad as if I were on ice, but it definitely breaks lose.

What do you have for wheels (sizes) and tires (sizes and models), and what inflation pressure(s) are you running?Norm
It is a stock '06 GT. The P.O. only added the stick on quarter window covers. I have only added miles.

How many miles on the car?Norm
It has about 58,000 miles

My first "parts" thoughts involve shocks/struts. The S197 is several hundred lbs heavier than the '66, so the "feel" won't be quite the same even at the same cornering speeds on the same roads.
I realize the car is heavier and packs a better punch. I'd like for it to corner like its on rails through.

I was thinking of replacing the springs to drop the car an inch or so, maybe adding a stiffer rear sway bar, followed by some better shocks.

The goal is to set it up to enjoy the curvey roads in the North Carolina country side.

Thanks for any info, Norm.

-Mark
Old 12-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Shocks/struts for sure. But not a stiffer rear sta-bar if you're already "loose" for the way you drive (it'll only make it even looser).

A little practice getting smoother "throttle modulation" is probably in order. Think in terms of "squeezing" into the throttle rather than snapping it open. As you pass the apex and start unwinding the steering you gradually add in throttle.

Maybe Sam Strano will add a thought or two.

Norm

Quick Reply: Autocross suspensions upgrade