Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Autocross suspensions upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 PM
monster693

Default Autocross suspensions upgrade

Hey guys I have an 07 gt and started racing autocross. I am looking at different strut/shock set ups. What are you recomendations?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Koni Sports. also known as Koni Yellows. Sam Strano sells them for $780.00 for all 4. post this in the Handling section and he'll most likely respond. his site is stranoparts.com, give him a call and he will hook you up. oh yeah, he's won the Solo II National Championship in F-Stock for the past 2 years in a Shelby GT... he knows his ****.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The F-Stock National Champion uses Koni Sports. I think his name is Sam something :-)
Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Isn't there some Sam guy that runs a beat up Mustang II and ripped of a guys trophy and put his own name on it?

Jazzer
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You guys crack me up.

monster693, I'd be Sam... nice to meet you.

As for the "setup", I'd love to help you out (and know I can), but so far I see glaringly large piece of information missing. What class are you thinking of running? Different parts change your classing, and as you move up the class order the cars get faster, and the money to be competitive becomes greater.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i can attest to that. i love autox, but the mods i did before i started kicked me out of F-Stock really fast. and now i get owned in everything i'm eligible to compete in. i love my mods, though, so i won't be changing. next up looks like some coilovers and R-compounds...
Old 10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
he's won the Solo II National Championship in F-Stock for the past 2 years in a Shelby GT... he knows his ****.
Have a pad and paper on hand when you call Sam, have a few questions. He has tons of information that he is more then willing to share. Everytime I have talked to Sam, I have like 2 pages of notes by the time I hang up with him.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

How serious you are going to be ?
I just started the autocross this summer. I have only Steeda Sport springs and OEM shocks.
For a rookie it works just fine, a lot better than with the original springs, you can really see the difference when watching videos and comparing the difference.
It even works pretty well on race track.
But when getting serious you need to do some more changes, but I would say this was the cheapest and most effective mod
Next upgrade might be to change brake pads to HAWK's.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FINGT
How serious you are going to be ?
I just started the autocross this summer. I have only Steeda Sport springs and OEM shocks.
For a rookie it works just fine, a lot better than with the original springs, you can really see the difference when watching videos and comparing the difference.
It even works pretty well on race track.
But when getting serious you need to do some more changes, but I would say this was the cheapest and most effective mod
Next upgrade might be to change brake pads to HAWK's.
I have to respectfully disagree, on a number of points.

The OEM shocks/struts are not very good, particularly the rears and get the comparison on a daily basis because I have one Mustang on stock springs and Koni's and one on stock springs and shocks. The stock shocked car rides worse, tracks worse, gets jumpy in the rear over bumps that don't move the Koni equipped car at all (and I often barely feel).

If you like control, stability and want going quickly to become easier, and help the back stick over bumps the dampers matter. Further, adjustable damping means you can tune how quickly the ends of the car act/react, which is helpful when transitioning the car.

I'm not saying springs don't have their place, but that situation needs to be paid attention to. First off, lowering springs are not legal in SCCA for F-stock competition on a GT. A set of springs alone will bump the car to a class it takes a lot more parts and money to be competitive in, where as the car is pretty darn competititve in F-stock.

Aside from my FS titles, I've also won ESP 3 times... Which is the next class up a Mustang can be competitive in. And it's a lot more involved, so you better know what you intentions and limitations are before making a blind change to the car.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM
FINGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I have to respectfully disagree, on a number of points.

The OEM shocks/struts are not very good, particularly the rears and get the comparison on a daily basis because I have one Mustang on stock springs and Koni's and one on stock springs and shocks. The stock shocked car rides worse, tracks worse, gets jumpy in the rear over bumps that don't move the Koni equipped car at all (and I often barely feel).

If you like control, stability and want going quickly to become easier, and help the back stick over bumps the dampers matter. Further, adjustable damping means you can tune how quickly the ends of the car act/react, which is helpful when transitioning the car.

I'm not saying springs don't have their place, but that situation needs to be paid attention to. First off, lowering springs are not legal in SCCA for F-stock competition on a GT. A set of springs alone will bump the car to a class it takes a lot more parts and money to be competitive in, where as the car is pretty darn competititve in F-stock.

Aside from my FS titles, I've also won ESP 3 times... Which is the next class up a Mustang can be competitive in. And it's a lot more involved, so you better know what you intentions and limitations are before making a blind change to the car.
As I said, how serious you want to be with it.
I agree, OEM shocks&springs are not that good but replacing just shocks doesn't either do too much difference.
I've seen how my car behaves and how S197 with Bilstein shocks and OEM springs behaves, the one with OEM springs leans a lot and mine doesn't, and as autocross tracks are usually on good surface mine seemed to behave better.

Sure, replacing the OEM shocks & springs and changing all the hardware in rear would make the car behave a lot better but it also means spending a lot $$$.

For my purposes the springs were the easiest/cheapest and most effective way.
Don't know about the rules you have, but I don't have to care about those as I'm in modified class even with stock 06 Mustang, so I have more freedom choosing the mods.
And sure, the shocks are on my list, but not just right now.

Quick Reply: Autocross suspensions upgrade