Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

First Track Day on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default First Track Day on Sunday

Hey guys, i'm doing my first event this weekend out at Texas World Speedway. i'm working a corner on saturday and then driving for free on sunday (i'm a broke college student, so i gotta do work/drives). i'm really excited, but i'm just wondering if there's anything i'm missing as far as prep work is concerned. i have relatively new oil, about half life on my pads, going to torque all my lug nuts to 90ftlbs, tires at 35psi, cleaned my windows, removed everything i could (floormats, loose stuff, spare, etc.).

anyways, i'm looking to have a great time and will be sure to report back after the event.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Go to 98-100 ft/lbs on the lugs. Stock pads and fluids would be a concern for me but others have done it...depends how hard you push and how hard the track is on brakes. What is the tire size? 35psi may be a little low on streets, just keep an eye on them.

With the stock seats and belt you will slide all over the place. One trick is to move the seat back a few inches from where you want it. Then pull the belt all the way out and let it go back in as far as you can get it. Then move the seat forward as far as you can, tightening the belt and locking yourself in. Another solution is to purchase a CGLock, you can google it, its a device that locks the lap belt in place.

Turn off traction control. My first time I actually stuck a sticky note to the button so that I would remember, and even then my instructor had to remind me about it, LOL.

Above all have fun. The first session will blow your mind. Riding with an instructor will give you a heart attack. By the end of the day you will be going faster than you ever thought possible.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Hey Texotic,

You’ll have a blast on your first track day. Sounds like you’ve done your homework and have your car prepped as best you can given your time and budget. If you can’t change your brake fluid or pads, the only thing I can add to Argonaut’s comments is to be sure you give your car a good cool down period. Hopefully they will give you at least a lap cool down where you should try not to use your brakes at all. If not, look for an area in the paddock where you can drive slowly up and down for a few minutes to allow your brakes and bearings to cool down. This is especially important if you start to feel fade during your runs. Another thing to remember is never set your parking brake after your runs. You'll risk having the pads becoming stuck to your rear rotors due to the heat.

Take your time getting up to speed and have a blast!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i should have added that i already have wheel chucks for when i autoX, so the parking brake will not be used the entire day.

I'm tall and usually drive with the seat almost all the way back, but scoot it forward a bit for autoX. i've tried the tug-to-lock and move forward routine, but it almost always ends up coming lose. i'll try it again, but we'll see. do they sell the CGlock in stores? i can't get one shipped here fast enough.

is there anything i could pick up at an auto parts store or something that could hold me down?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

CGLocks are great. I've had a set for a couple years and really like them. I've never seen them in stores but here's where I got mine: http://www.soloracer.com/cglock.html. They ship really quick but it's too late for the weekend. They're worth the money if you continue with this obsession or when you AutoX, IMHO.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

A few other points to think about
- cover or remove your plates
- make sure you drink lots - it is easy to get distracted and forget
- check lug nut torques and tire pressures after each session and drop the pressures as the tires heat up
- don't overdo it you - will get tired by the end of the day and tired drivers make mistakes
- in slow out fast is usually best
- get an instructor to ride with you if you can

The CG Lock is great. I use mine even for daily driving

You will have a blast - it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

We expect a "Track Day" report.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Have fun

Oh, I almost forgot.... check your front sway bar

Jazzer
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
I'm tall and usually drive with the seat almost all the way back, but scoot it forward a bit for autoX. i've tried the tug-to-lock and move forward routine, but it almost always ends up coming lose. i'll try it again, but we'll see. do they sell the CGlock in stores? i can't get one shipped here fast enough.

is there anything i could pick up at an auto parts store or something that could hold me down?
Since you cant get a GCLock in time there is one other trick you can try. Ever see the rubberized mat stuff you put in the bottom of drawers. Like in a tool box. Its perforated so you can kind of see thru it and sort of sticky to the touch. Get a piece about the size of your seat and sit on it. I haven't tried it but know lots of guys who swear by it.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Have fun

Oh, I almost forgot.... check your front sway bar

Jazzer
LOL - you'd be the expert on that one.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

One thing that I did on my first few track days at TWS was to leave it in fourth. That way I could listen to the instructor.

Even now I only need to shift up and down twice per lap, so you're not losing a lot.

Quick Reply: First Track Day on Sunday