Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

TWS: Track Day Report (with pics)

Old 11-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice! You will be addicted now, lol. More wear and tear, more money!
Listen to these guys tho, lots of good advice from them. It fun to wave bye bye to the GTO's. You can see the pack I had just made my way thru in the sig pic.

And what I was chasin down in this pic, lol. Actually was another forum buddy thats semi local, we ran with each other most of the day, equal cars for the most part, but I think he has more seat time than I. Helps learning when ya follow someone that knows whats going on.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Helps learning when ya follow someone that knows whats going on.
Can be risky though if they are significantly faster than you. I found this out following a 1 Series Bimmer into turn 2 at Mosport and missed the tire wall by 3 feet!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Doh! lol yea. Need to know your limits thats for sure. I was chasing some sort of VW golf all wheel drive turbo I was told, in the rain. Not a good idea, lol. kept it on the track, but alot of sliding sideways.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Doh! lol yea. Need to know your limits thats for sure.
I know, I know, but sometimes the heat of the moment causes you to forgot the basics.

Especially as earlier in the day I was keeping up to the same car and driver. It turned out he was gettting back into track days after being out of it for a few years. He got considerably faster over the day as it all came back to him and he got used to his new toy!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

There was a Driver's Edge event at TWS today and tomorrow and they were running CW instead of CCW like I did, so I went out at lunch today to do the parade laps just to see what the opposite way was like. It felt like a completely different track and seemed like it would be faster. I think I saw sonnier's car out there, but there wasn't anyone by it and I couldn't hang around for very long so I left. It had the Transformers Autobots symbol on the rear trunk badge instead of "GT". If it isn't his, I'm pretty sure I've seen it on here at some point.

Moral of the story, I'm looking forward to doing a CW event. I don't want to beat the **** out of my car, though, so I'm going to try and wait to upgrade my brakes and get some track wheels.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Yeah, i forgot to mention that i had forgotten to turn off TCS when i boiled the brakes. I remembered the next time, though!

When you look at it, the track looks like it was designed to run CW and when I asked my instructor, he said they run CCW most of the time because it's safer. There's a lot more runoff going CCW on most turns.
Yeah, it's definitely much easier going CCW. I just got moved up to the yellow run group and I'm finding that I definitely need more brake and tire now. I think it's time to step up to r-compound brakes and tires. HP+ pads and KDWs are just not cutting it with the speeds I'm carrying and braking is much harder going clockwise. It's also the first time I've done clockwise, though, so it's a totally different track. Lines are completely different running the other way and I launched the car off the kink after 15, 14, 13 because I got on it way too hard but luckily the ground if pretty forgiving off track over there.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:34 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
There was a Driver's Edge event at TWS today and tomorrow and they were running CW instead of CCW like I did, so I went out at lunch today to do the parade laps just to see what the opposite way was like. It felt like a completely different track and seemed like it would be faster. I think I saw sonnier's car out there, but there wasn't anyone by it and I couldn't hang around for very long so I left. It had the Transformers Autobots symbol on the rear trunk badge instead of "GT". If it isn't his, I'm pretty sure I've seen it on here at some point.

Moral of the story, I'm looking forward to doing a CW event. I don't want to beat the **** out of my car, though, so I'm going to try and wait to upgrade my brakes and get some track wheels.
That is my car, sorry I went to Freebird's at lunch. Did you happen to see the Roush Stage 3 there as well. The owner was pretty cool.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i saw the stage 3 driving out of the paddock as i was coming in, didn't get to talk to him at all. Good choice for lunch, btw. if you went to the one in the kroger shopping center off of rock prairie, you were literally like 30 seconds-1 minute from my house, lol.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

That looks like so much fun.
I'm jelous of you guys that have tracks to get on. I'm stuck with flying through cones.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

lol, AutoX is still really fun, I do them too. much cheaper, so i can do them more often. I drove my car pretty hard this semester, so i'll probably give it a rest for a month or two... since september i've done: 1 TWS Track Day, 4 AutoX's, and 1 Road Rallye. It's my daily driver, so I've got some maintenance type stuff I need to do now like new rear tires, pads, brake fluid, turn rotors (or get new ones), fuel filter, oil change, etc. I'll take the opportunity to make some changes, though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TWS: Track Day Report (with pics)