Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brake System Flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Brake System Flush

So, I picked up some ATE Super Blue earlier today and am hoping to put it in this weekend. Right now I'm planning on just bleeding my brakes like normal a few times, but replacing the discharged fluid with the ATE. It can mix with my current fluid, right? Does anyone have any better suggestions on how to do this?

Also, is there a specific pattern we are supposed to bleed? Last time I bled, I did RR, RL, FR, FL.

Any input is appreciated, I'm new to all of this brake work, but want to get proficient at it.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

When we did mine we drained as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible before adding the ATE Super Blue. Then kept bleeding the wheels one by one until the fluid came out blue.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

sounds good. did you try siphoning any out of the reservoir before you bled?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
sounds good. did you try siphoning any out of the reservoir before you bled?
Yes - as much as we dared without risking getting air in the fluid.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Same here. With the speed bleeders its pretty easy. I used a turkey baster to get as much out of the MC as possible, then topped it up with super blue and pumped away. Your rotation is correct. This isn't the perfect way to do it but its good enough. You still will have old fluid in the abs and clutch.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I took mine to a local shop the first time I switched over to the new fluid. They had the right device to cycle the ABS and fully flush it of the old fluid. After that, I just do flushes the normal way.

I've heard that you can effectively clear the ABS unit by doing some heavy braking to get the unit to discharge. I don't know the specifics of this procedure (how many times you need to activate the ABS), but I do know that until you activate it either this way or through the shop device you'll always have that old fluid in the ABS. Flushing the fluid alone will not clear the ABS.

Best,
-j
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

+1 on ABS changing all the rules when doing brake flushes. Pholostang, what'd they charge you to do the flush?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and work towards it (passenger side rear, driver side rear, passenger side front, driver side front). Bleed until you see dark blue (no air) the move to the next wheel. Don’t forget to keep an eye on the reservoir. I usually use about a liter and a half when I change the fluid, which may be more than necessary but I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

And make sure you don't get any fluid on the paint!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Robertj,

I had the system flushed along with a few other things done at the same time. I think I got "a deal" on the package (pads, braided brake lines, system flush) so I don't really recall the price for cycling the ABS itself.

I could dig up some receipts, but I seem to recall it wasn't much (or at least I felt it was well worth it). Sorry I couldn't be more more specific.

Best,
-j

Quick Reply: Brake System Flush