Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What would be ideal suspension mod for......

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sugarandopium
I need some advice and guidance from some s197 suspension experts.

I'm in the process of building an approx. 450hp daily driver.
- Did the little things.
-- Doing the exhaust now.
-----> Want to do the suspension before I get my blower.

My question is this:
What would be the recomended suspension upgrades
for a supercharged s197 that will be around the 450rwhp range?

The car is a daily driver. It will never see a track or street racing.
I also live in a city, faced with alot of imperfect roads on a daily basis,
so ride quality with these bumps is VERY VERY important to me.

Looking for getting a plan/list on what to do/what parts to buy.
I just need to put the power to the ground, would like to keep the ride
quality as good as possible because of the area and daily driver factor.

From my limited knowledge of suspension componets, I'm guessing that
steeda ultralite springs and tokico dspec shock/strut would be a good
match to what I'm shooting for with this car?

Is there anything else that needs or should be done beyond spring/shock/strut?

Are any of the suspension packages, like these:
http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...ticle&aid=3450
worthwhile?

Or should I piece together a package that would work best for a F/I DD street car?

Thank you in advance, I'm trying to read all I can, the drivetrain makes
alot more sense to me than the suspension does, but I know I have to upgrade both.
If you want ride quality, Steeda Ultralite springs are the way to go. I can't begin to count how many happy customer I have with those. I've even got people I have switched from other brands of springs to these specifically for ride quality improvement.

We have not been on this board that long, but over on themustangsource.com there are a lot of customers who have used the Ultra-lite's and been extremely happy.

Now I also agree with others here that for your situation a set package probably would not be best, you need something tailored more to your intended use of the vehicle.

Again if you want to improve the car's looks and keep ride quality go with the ultra-lite's. If you don't want to lower the car stick with the stock springs.

I would suggest a good set of lower trailing arms to control wheel hop. GT500 arms will still wheel hop. They are maginally ok on a stock GT, with the power he is going to have they will still wheel hop. Our chrome moly steel or billet rear trailing arms will do the job, and our bushing package will not introduce additional NVH into the vehicle.

For shocks, Tokico D-specs or Koni adjustables will be fine. We do the Tokico's here.

If you lower the car, we would also suggest trailing arm relocation brackets to correct the instant center geometry and retain maximum traction.

For brakes, Hawk HPS brake pads, powerslot rotors, and stainless brake lines make an amazing difference and should be fine for your intended driving.

Gus
Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM
sugarandopium
2nd Gear Member

Lot of good info!
Thanks to all.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Hopefully others will correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand between the D-Specs and Konis, the Konis only adjust rebound and keep compression constant and the D-Specs adjust both at the same time. The Konis tend to do better on the track because the actual relationship between compression and rebound can be adjusted whereas the D-Specs are only adjustable to be softer or firmer. It is also my understanding the the softer settings on the D-Specs are a bit softer than the softer settings on the Konis, so you might like the D-Specs better if it's just a DD that will never see track time.

If the experts feel that's wrong, feel free to correct.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt lower a daily driver unless you go with an awesome set of adj konis...
as for relo brackets.. only if your LCA are pointing down are neccisary.. you can still use em but unless you like a potentially unpredicable rear end i wouldnt.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Texotic
Hopefully others will correct me if I am wrong. From what I understand between the D-Specs and Konis, the Konis only adjust rebound and keep compression constant and the D-Specs adjust both at the same time. The Konis tend to do better on the track because the actual relationship between compression and rebound can be adjusted whereas the D-Specs are only adjustable to be softer or firmer. It is also my understanding the the softer settings on the D-Specs are a bit softer than the softer settings on the Konis, so you might like the D-Specs better if it's just a DD that will never see track time.

If the experts feel that's wrong, feel free to correct.
I can't speak for the Koni shocks from personal experience, but I've talked to customers that are very happy with them. We use D-specs here and they are great for street or road course. Our national championship winning SCCA and NASA drivers like Robin Burnett and Tom Ellis race and win on Tokicos.

I've owned Tokico's on 3 out of 4 Mustangs I have owned over the years and have been quite happy with them.

Gus
Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I've owned both, and sell both. D-specs are a big improvement over Illumina's, but they ain't Koni's. I changed our cars over when the Koni Sports finally came out, and don't for a minute regret it. What's more is others here have also done it, and come to similar conclusions.

D-specs don't suck, but they aren't Koni's and that difference isn't found only on a track or autox course.

I've won National Championships with both on the Shelby GT. One of my best friends has D-specs on his Shelby GT still, and I put a set of D-specs on an '05 GT in very early '06. No shortage of experience with both dampers. What do I have on my '07 GT that I daily drive? Koni's.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
listen to sam he knows what hes talking about.
Yeah, I posted that in another thread... with more colors
Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I have the koni adjustables on my car with Roush leveling springs. I also switched my stock rims/tires out for Toyo T1R's 255/45/18 front and 285/40/18 back, and added an Edelbrock 3pt strut tower brace. Keep in mind my GT is a convertible, but I can honestly say with the changes, the ride is better than stock.

Last edited by Margarita Girl; 12-31-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl
I have the koni adjustables on my car with Roush leveling springs. I also switched my stock rims/tires out for Toyo T1R's 255/45/18 front and 285/40/18 back, and added an Edelbrock 3pt strut tower brace. Keep in mind my GT is a convertible, but I can honestly say with the changes, the ride is better than stock.

The Konis alone, put you ahead of the game...
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

damn margarita girl i never noticed how sexy ur car is...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would be ideal suspension mod for......