Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

why did ford do that with the sway bars ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 AM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Default why did ford do that with the sway bars ?

My question is about why on the v6 mustangs (without pony package ) they only put the front sway bar on. Shouldn't they of put the back only If they were going to put only one. Since a v6 has less power than a GT ,they could even have a larger sway bar in the rear than the GT and get away with it due to it not power sliding as much as a GT. Or is it one of those things about giving it a little more under steer so that the average driver wont spin out as easy ? Tell me your opinion . Thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 01:19 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

they did it so people would buy GT's and upgraded v6 models. ya cant have all the bells and whistles on a base v6.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:32 AM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by One Bad Stang
they did it so people would buy GT's and upgraded v6 models. ya cant have all the bells and whistles on a base v6.
OK I was just saying It would of cost ford the same amount to of put it in the rear instead of the front.
I think I also read the only gave the v6 210 hp so it wouldn't compete with the GT (you may be rite)
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

money

the car companies try to save every dollar they can when designing and building a car, even a few dollars per unit adds up when you sell 3 or 4 million a year
/
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Also... rear sway bar on a stock car (including the GT) that has a solid axle and whimpy shocks from the factory, is useless IMO.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clintster77
OK I was just saying It would of cost ford the same amount to of put it in the rear instead of the front.
I think I also read the only gave the v6 210 hp so it wouldn't compete with the GT (you may be rite)

you really think it would do better in the rear?? i would think it would be more beneficial in the front. i'm no suspension guru though, so i may be wrong. and i dont know why they did it.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

A car with no sway bar in the front will get you sea sick.
It belong to a sailor
Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

in a corner the outside front tire has more loading than any other, and that corner will tend to roll under- I believe ALL cars since the 50's~60's have had a front sway bar wether performance/truck/station wagon...without the front bar the car can become dangerously loose. My mark VII when the air suspension was leaking tended to break off the end links, aside from hearing the rattle, the handling really really changed for the worse- it works
Only cars Ive heard of not having one are some drag cars just to lose some frontend weight, but along with the skinny front tires, those cars are not built to be thrown into a corner...

also- look t the diameter difference from a front to rear sway bar- that alone will tell you which one does more

Last edited by ford4v429; 01-01-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Most car manufacturers build their cars to understeer at the limit when cornering, i.e. the front end goes off the corner first. This is felt to be safer for the average driver in an emergency situation. To increase understeer you put an anti sway bar at the front. Adding one at the rear only would reduce understeer and probably result in oversteer,i.e. the rear end will break loose first at the cornering limit. This results in a spin if things really get out of control.

This assumes that you are not on the throttle when cornering. If you are and you have a GT, or better yet a GT with an SC or Turbo then throttle on oversteer is available on demand but you had better be careful
Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Most car manufacturers build their cars to understeer at the limit when cornering, i.e. the front end goes off the corner first. This is felt to be safer for the average driver in an emergency situation. To increase understeer you put an anti sway bar at the front. Adding one at the rear only would reduce understeer and probably result in oversteer,i.e. the rear end will break loose first at the cornering limit. This results in a spin if things really get out of control.

This assumes that you are not on the throttle when cornering. If you are and you have a GT, or better yet a GT with an SC or Turbo then throttle on oversteer is available on demand but you had better be careful
so are you saying if i remove my front sway bar (using BMR's lower radiator support/sway bar delete) i will have less understeer in corners?

Quick Reply: why did ford do that with the sway bars ?