Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Default Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?

I have an 08 gt manual with the only suspension mod as eibach pro springs. As you can see i also have 20" wheels. I need something to help my stang handle better because i cannot go fast around corners. It feels like im about to slide away. So, what could i buy for suspension, what brand and how much are they usually. Also, how hard is the install? Also, i do not want to buy shocks yet and i know to get the tokico d spec.
Attached Images    
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

What kind of tires do you have?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What are you doing with the throttle (or brakes) when it wants to slide, and which end wants to "slide away" first?

Norm
Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You might not want to buy shocks yet, but they are what you need. And I don't at all agree that you "need to get the Tokico D-specs". In fact the Koni's are superior IMHO (having used both and sell both).

The stock shocks aren't very good dampers to start with. You added lowering springs which overwhelmed them even more, than you added more unsprung weight via your wheels and tires and made things worse yet.

You want to know what to get for your 2nd mod. New shocks and struts (appropriate ones). If you aren't ready, get ready because they are what you need.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I have Nitto 555

What are you doing with the throttle (or brakes) when it wants to slide, and which end wants to "slide away" first?
i let go of the throttle when it wants to slide. It will want to slide into the curve. so if the road is turning left, my car will keep wanting to go straight.

You want to know what to get for your 2nd mod. New shocks and struts (appropriate ones). If you aren't ready, get ready because they are what you need.
- the reason why i do not want shocks yet is because i will be getting the sportlines(2" drop vs 1.5) and i want to replace both at the same time.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

Looks like the shot gun approach as opposed to the systems design method!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
I have Nitto 555

i let go of the throttle when it wants to slide. It will want to slide into the curve. so if the road is turning left, my car will keep wanting to go straight.

- the reason why i do not want shocks yet is because i will be getting the sportlines(2" drop vs 1.5) and i want to replace both at the same time.
Are you concerned that dropping the car 2" will severely degrade the performance of your suspension due to the geometry vhanges? For best overall handling balance a 1" drop is considered by some to be about the limit.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

-what do you mean?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chp2150
Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Are you concerned that dropping the car 2" will severely degrade the performance of your suspension due to the geometry vhanges? For best overall handling balance a 1" drop is considered by some to be about the limit.
No i didn't know that, how bad?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
i do not want to buy shocks yet and i know to get the tokico d spec.
Just read this link, about a quarter of the way down it says "Buying Shocks". You do NOT have to ready everything on this page but at least read that section.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Quick Reply: Car doesn't feel right around corners, what to get for 2nd susp mod?