Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Just blew out a tire today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

Default Just blew out a tire today

On my way to the auto show in philly and had a blow out on the bridge on I95, so i missed the show.

Anyway, i just want to replace the stock 17 pzero nero's anyone know a ballpark price? Probably going to the dealer, unless i find a better price somewhere else. Delco area of PA.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xtremesaleen
On my way to the auto show in philly and had a blow out on the bridge on I95, so i missed the show.

Anyway, i just want to replace the stock 17 pzero nero's anyone know a ballpark price? Probably going to the dealer, unless i find a better price somewhere else. Delco area of PA.
That sucks and I hate flats :/

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S PINNA $78.00 (each) as per tirerack. So I would say in between $70-$90. How many miles do you have on the other ones?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:45 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

i checked NTB online and shipped its around 95, my husband keeps telling me its going to be over 250 for 1 tire at the dealer and im not looking forward to it.

I have just over 24k on the tires, and when we checked the tire had no nails or anything obviously wrong so im curious what the reason was. How long is the average life of a tire? Ive never actually burned out with this car so its just DD miles
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Monkeyleg
2nd Gear Member

"Average" tire life depends upon the type of tire and the type of driving done.

Plain old Daily Driver tires can go for about 40,000 miles. Performance tires are generally "stickier," meaning that the rubber is softer for better traction, but wear out much faster. Motorcycle tires are generally very sticky. I know riders who only get 5,000 miles on a set of tires.

As for what did your tire in, it could be anything. 24,000 miles isn't bad, though. Even if you pay $250, that's a bit more than one cent a mile for a tire.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

The reason why I asked is cause you may need to get two, even though the other side isn't bad to balance the car out. Cause if you think about it, even though you have the same two tires but the wear is different the rotation isn't going to be the same on either side and may cause issues.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

you might want to check with places that have the OEM rims and tires for sale. I would never pay $250 for a stock Pirelli. Look in your yellow pages for tire dealers.

These stock Pirellis last a long time and a lot of miles. I have 2 stock Nero Zeros with 30,000 miles on my stock rims sitting on my balcony and they have plenty of tread left.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear - which bridge?

NTB has at least three stores in the vicinity - the one at Franklin Mills Circle may be of more interest to you than Maple Shade or Woodbury (both in NJ). There may be others - I entered a Cherry Hill NJ zipcode in the store search just to get an idea.

With performance-oriented street tires and lots of hard (street) cornering I don't expect any more than 30kmiles, though that also depends a little on the tires' treadwear rating (I've seen as low as 15k, as high as about 33k). That's down to/just into the wear bars, BTW.

On cars driven primarily by my wife, at 35k I need to be looking for replacements and by 38k they're done even though the wear bars haven't quite started to show.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

It blew on the bridge and i was doing 80+ so i had to weave over to the shoulder thankfully i was just past the main bridge ( dont know the name) but i was staring right at the wachovia center to my left. which i guess was more of a VERY high overpass?

I was actually thinking the same thing about at least getting 2 now and 2 later. depends on how much everything is, figures i just paid off a bunch of debt leaving me with a tiny cushion.. Such is life i guess.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

I cant recall the price, but brendspeed sells the stock tires on their recycled section. May be worth a look
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xtremesaleen
thankfully i was just past the main bridge ( dont know the name) but i was staring right at the wachovia center to my left. which i guess was more of a VERY high overpass?
The bridge is the one between the airport and the Navy Yard and sports complex, which means that you were coming north on I-95. That also means that Franklin Mills being a few miles north of Philly might still be a bit of a hike, so a store search on NTB.com based on your zipcode may find a store location that fits you better.

I-95 is an elevated highway for much of the way from that bridge through Philly until you get above the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge / Rte 73. Yeah, it's a miserable place to get a flat. BTDT (going southbound from the Ben, different car).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-09-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Just blew out a tire today