Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Best non adjustable damper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Kind of indirectly.

Bilstein is another European shock mfr that's been around for quite a while. AFAIK, most of their products are gas pressure designs. My experience in another car (another stick axle car of generally similar size, weight and weight distribution) is that they ride noticeably better than KYB Gas-A-Justs while offering slightly better control.

Norm
Old 06-18-2009, 05:04 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Kind of indirectly.

Bilstein is another European shock mfr that's been around for quite a while. AFAIK, most of their products are gas pressure designs. My experience in another car (another stick axle car of generally similar size, weight and weight distribution) is that they ride noticeably better than KYB Gas-A-Justs while offering slightly better control.

Norm
Wow Norm - that's the most uncharacteristicly vanilla answer i've ever heard from you lol.

If anybody wants a set of Bilsteins cheap, send me a PM. I have a set in my garage that need a home.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
Legion -

Please enlighten us all also as to what series ANY Mustang has "obliterated Ferraris". With Steala parts no less.
Try the European GT4 class where the FR500C is taking no prisoners.
My friend Eric De Donker is the 07 and 08 champ.

Of course, my response is not a real answer to your post, since Ferrari (and Porsche) left that class and the Mustang doesn't run Steeda or Koni shocks.
And also, those are full blown race cars...
The FR500C however, cleans the Aston's clock on those European tracks.
I thought all this was worth mentioning.

Ultimately, when cars are in close performace to one another, the driver will still make the difference.

I do agree with your comments on that post.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

haha, soooo..back on topic
ideas for more non adjustable shocks that would be one step below adjustables?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by I8ACHEVY
haha, soooo..back on topic
ideas for more non adjustable shocks that would be one step below adjustables?
i crossed my fingers and blindly ordered a set of koni STR's and vogtland springs. i'm daily driving just like you and i'll let you know how they work out when i get em on
Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KeneticEnergy
i crossed my fingers and blindly ordered a set of koni STR's and vogtland springs. i'm daily driving just like you and i'll let you know how they work out when i get em on
Would you be interested in physically testing your handling results when you get the parts for research? I sent you a PM to help get things along.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
Would you be interested in physically testing your handling results when you get the parts for research? I sent you a PM to help get things along.
Let me know what youd like me to do and I can most likely take care of it. I dont have a track nearby though, nor a G-meter. I'm also rolling on stock fanblades and 235 eagle GT's, that will limit the full potential but I'll give it a shot
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KeneticEnergy
double post

Last edited by Legion5; 06-18-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
double post
PMed back
Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Koni. Junk only used by a number of F1 teams.

FWIW, the GT4 Mustangs, and even the Grand-Am Mustangs aren't exactly normal Mustangs. While they start out that way completely seam welded cars that end up weight a good 300 pounds less than a street car are a little different. But the good news is they are a similar car, and you could replicate one. And yes, they mostly use Dynamic dampers, but then they are huge money and considering some here bitch (sorry, but that's the best word) about single adjustable shocks I can't imagine they ponying up for triples....... And fwiw the Shelby GT's OE dampers are tuned by Multimatic (who makes Dynamic shocks)... and frankly they suck. Ask anyone who's run on those vs. a set of Koni's, or even D-specs. The cars work so much better over imperfections with the others than with the Multimatics it's stunning.

And yes, I am a Koni fan.... because they work--period. Koni has history, proven history, proven results, including such piddly little things like F1 World Championships... And if you were to pay attention through 2008 you could see just how well Koni equipped cars rode curbs vs. some others). And fwiw, not only do they win there but everywhere they race--all the way down to us bottom feeder autocrossers. Hell, they even make dominant Drag shocks (ProStock NHRA champions run Koni drag shocks). Prodrive Aston Martin runs Koni, McLaren F1, on an on.... While none of those shocks are what you use on this, car normally you could. 2812 series race shocks are available for Mustangs if you have the bucks and inclination, and those are directly derived from racing. Knowledge trickles down... Koni's FSD technology came directly from Formula 1. We're talking about a company with wins and championships in every major race and series in the world and a history of winning not only today but for more than 50 years.....

But alas, Saleen is the shiznit. I bow to thee.

Bilstein's are great shocks, but overpriced for non-adjustable dampers. For the money you can buy Koni Sports and have options over the way the acts, reacts, feels. I sell Bilstein, great quality--even used some to win a Championship in 2002. Nothing against them, but my job for my customers is to make the best recommendation I can--and here that wouldn't be a Bilstein for cost vs. flexibility reasons.

Quick Reply: Best non adjustable damper?