Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Both Rear Axles Are Bent?? How The H*ll

Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Default Both Rear Axles Are Bent?? How The H*ll

I took my car in today to get services (2008 Shelby GT) because it was shaking pretty bad in the front and I thought the tires needed to be balanced. The guy calls me up a couple hours later and tells me that not only did my tires need to be balanced, but the rear axles are BENT and need to be replaced. He said it's going to run $1000 to get it done.

How the hell do the rear axles get bent? Nobody can figure out how this happened.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoulBurn18
I took my car in today to get services (2008 Shelby GT) because it was shaking pretty bad in the front and I thought the tires needed to be balanced. The guy calls me up a couple hours later and tells me that not only did my tires need to be balanced, but the rear axles are BENT and need to be replaced. He said it's going to run $1000 to get it done.

How the hell do the rear axles get bent? Nobody can figure out how this happened.
What about warrenty? Is that covered? That sucks big time. Sorry to hear about it.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03_GT_Reaper
What about warrenty? Is that covered? That sucks big time. Sorry to hear about it.
Nope, it's not covered by the warranty. I'm more interested in how this could have happened since nobody else seems to have a clue either. I've talked to 2 different mechanics in 2 different shops and nobody has the slightest idea how I could've done it.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:20 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoulBurn18
Nope, it's not covered by the warranty. I'm more interested in how this could have happened since nobody else seems to have a clue either. I've talked to 2 different mechanics in 2 different shops and nobody has the slightest idea how I could've done it.
Forgive me for not knowing but do the shelbys have a different warrenty than the rest of fords cars? I mean, that should be included in the bumper to bumper warrenty. It sounds really sketchy that this "happened" and now you are out 1,000 bucks. That just blows my mind how that possibly could have happened.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Sounds like the car was beat to hell (a lot of hard launches with a lot of wheelhop) or something was hit and never mentioned.

Axles don't just "bend" by themselves. Are you the ORIGINAL owner or did you buy it used?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Sounds like the car was beat to hell (a lot of hard launches with a lot of wheelhop) or something was hit and never mentioned.

Axles don't just "bend" by themselves. Are you the ORIGINAL owner or did you buy it used?
I'm the original and the only person who drives the car. I don't floor it from a dead stop, I've never hit anything with it. Nobody can figure out what could have caused this to happen.

But I called Lamotta Performance and they said they could put higher quality axles (moser axles) for half the price as what Ford would charge to use theirs. So we'll see what happens.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

has it always had the vibration issue?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
has it always had the vibration issue?
Honestly, yes. But I always thought it was a balancing issue. I had the tires replaced as well as the braking system. A friend of mine told me that it was normal to have to get the tires rebalanced every few months (although I've never had to do it on any other car I've ever had).

I would get the balancing done and they'd be fine for 2-3 months and then it would start up again. Balance them again, and go 2-3 months without a problem.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:39 PM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

I bent both of the axles in the rear of my 2007 v6, i had a little high speed collision with a curb. i took it to a long time friend and mechanic and that was what his diagnosis was, hes an honest man and it cost me right at 1000 for the axles, a new wheel, and a side skirt.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The_Enforcer
I bent both of the axles in the rear of my 2007 v6, i had a little high speed collision with a curb. i took it to a long time friend and mechanic and that was what his diagnosis was, hes an honest man and it cost me right at 1000 for the axles, a new wheel, and a side skirt.
I just got a call back from the dealership and it looks like they are going to fix it FREE. He said there was no evidence that I did anything to cause them to bend and it doesn't make any sense that both of them would bend at the same time either.

I'm wondering if the axles came defective and just never got noticed until now. But they are fixing it free of charge. Only bad thing is, I have to go a week without my car. I have to leave it there. If something happens to it while I'm driving it, they won't cover it.

7 days without my baby.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Both Rear Axles Are Bent?? How The H*ll