Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Both Rear Axles Are Bent?? How The H*ll

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

That sucks. I'd go with the upgraded mosers.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

thats realy good man, i has definitly at fault for my problem...i didnt even go to the ford dealership to ask. as far as they know my cars accident free
Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Va. Stang
That sucks. I'd go with the upgraded mosers.
I'd like to, but I don't have the $500 to get it fixed to begin with so right now free is looking a lot better.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoulBurn18
I just got a call back from the dealership and it looks like they are going to fix it FREE. He said there was no evidence that I did anything to cause them to bend and it doesn't make any sense that both of them would bend at the same time either.

I'm wondering if the axles came defective and just never got noticed until now. But they are fixing it free of charge. Only bad thing is, I have to go a week without my car. I have to leave it there. If something happens to it while I'm driving it, they won't cover it.

7 days without my baby.
WOOT WOOT!!! I was going to say, that sounded like a defective product from the factory and you SHOULDNT have to pay for it! IT sucks you will be without your car for a week, however, I could live without it for it getting fixed free of charge! Glad to hear it is worked out.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03_GT_Reaper
WOOT WOOT!!! I was going to say, that sounded like a defective product from the factory and you SHOULDNT have to pay for it! IT sucks you will be without your car for a week, however, I could live without it for it getting fixed free of charge! Glad to hear it is worked out.
Yeah, I agree. I even got a paid vacation out of it. LOL I can't make it to work next week until I get my car back so I had to use vacation time to make up for it.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
03_GT_Reaper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoulBurn18
Yeah, I agree. I even got a paid vacation out of it. LOL I can't make it to work next week until I get my car back so I had to use vacation time to make up for it.
Well that sucks you had to use your vaca but I guess it will be nice that you get some time off. I am also on vaca next week and I too will be without my car. However it will just be locked in the garage all by its lonesome.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
SoulBurn18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03_GT_Reaper
Well that sucks you had to use your vaca but I guess it will be nice that you get some time off. I am also on vaca next week and I too will be without my car. However it will just be locked in the garage all by its lonesome.
My girlfriend talked other dad and he said that the reason why both axles went was because of my rims. That I need to get center mounted rims so the center of gravity is on the inside instead of the outside.

He also said that he gives the new axles 6-8 months before they bend again and if I drag the car they will snap.

Damn things. LOL But I like my rims so I'm not getting rid of them.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:01 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Center mounted wheels? Anyone going to call BS here? I've heard of hub centric wheels, instead of lug centric, but that's not what you're talking about. Put it this way: if the wheel is completely balanced (dynamically) it really doesn't matter where most of the weight is (it's moving in equilibrium).

NOW, I would agree that severely damaged or defective wheels that are out of balance could cause some problems. HOWEVER, this usually eats up axle bearings, not the axle shafts. Rare, but possible.

With that being said, in all my years of wrenching, I have never heard of bending BOTH axles at the same time. One would bend before the other and be very noticeable.

Lastly, the occasional hard launch with a Ford 8.8" 31 spline rear axle on street tires will not bend the axle shafts.

Have them fix it and put Ford wheels on it. The SVT wheels on a Shelby GT look great.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ANYtime the dealership had to keep my car I was provided a free loaner, and not just by Ford. If they're doing the work for free they're obviously admitting that it's warranty work and you should be entitled to a loaner.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Egads ... a 7 day vacation without my Mustang?!
I can't think of anything much worse.
Unless my wife took her vacation at the same time.

Quick Reply: Both Rear Axles Are Bent?? How The H*ll