Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Installed BMR uppper pan hard brace and Adjsutable PHB

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Default Installed BMR uppper pan hard brace and Adjsutable PHB

So I just installed my BMR adjustable pan hard bar, also the upper pan hard bar support. These were real easy to install and adjust. I was expecting it to make the ride a bit more rough, but I hardly noticed an increase in NVH. It did corner better, but as far as ride quality goes, no change.

I definitely recommend these for anyone on the fence. Plus I've got the Ford Racing diff girdle and I had no interference issues with the pan hard bar. Here's 3 pics below from different angles so you can see about the 1/4" of space I have between the pan hard rod and girdle.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Congrats! I haven't seen to many people do the pan hard support. Its looks great!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats...everything looks great
Old 09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
tungstengrey07gt
2nd Gear Member

hey man how hard is it to adjust them cause ive got the same support brace and adj panhard bar and I havent installed them due to not having the time and also I do know how to set them and what i mean by that is just adjusting them so they are adjusted right.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
russje
2nd Gear Member

The instructions they included to adjust it were pretty easy to follow. Just plumb bob something with a string and measure the distance to your wheel face. Make sure both sides are within 1/8 is the spec I think. However I aligned the bolt holes on both pan hard bars before I installed it using the bolts.

Like this:

And this:

That way I knew at least the holes would line up, once I did that I never needed to re-adjust it. Of course I'm sure I'll need to adjust mine once it's lowered in a bit, but I was expecting to do that. Pretty much bolt up and go, took maybe 2 hours tops...

Now I'm just waiting to get this stuff installed:

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow, it's been raining a lot here

Last edited by russje; 09-02-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Adjusting the PHB will be the easiest thing to adjust after lowering your car. You can basically eyeball it and forget. Getting your pinion angle spot-on (with a one-piece DS and adjustable upper CA) will be the ball-buster...it was for me.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Just wanted to throw this out as a side note. If anybody is planning on doing the UCA and bracket, it's a good idea to do it while the PHB is out. It's pretty tight in there, and my weak *** impact (450ft/lbs) won't break the rearend/UCA bolt loose. Too much crap in the way to get my breaker bar on. So today I'm going to try dropping the PHB down and possibly the upper PH brace so I can get my breaker bar in there. If that doesn't work...I guess I'm going to buy a better impact wrench today.

Could be worse
Old 09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

This mod is a MUST if your car is very low like mine...the rear end shifts more than 1/2inch to the side!
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Well I had the pan hard support brace added to mine as well. Any noticeable difference with or without the brace?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
russje
2nd Gear Member

Since I put both of them on at the same time I'm not really sure which part contributed most to the difference I felt. I will say the car launched way better, and I have a really sharp curve on the street that leads to my neighborhood, and I was able to take this noticebly faster at a higher speed with much more confidence and less body roll.

I guess bottom line is the a much more predicable feel from the rear end. It seems much easier to control closer to the limits before the rear end swings around.

Quick Reply: Installed BMR uppper pan hard brace and Adjsutable PHB