Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Handling Pack and CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
stanged

Default GT Handling Pack and CAI

I asked this on another forum and received no feedback.

I have a 09 GT Premium Coupe that is 100% stock with 18 inch wheels and approximately 1,000 miles. This is my first Mustang although my GF has a 07 GT convertible. I am interested in adding a handling kit and CAI. I will never take it to the drag strip so am only interested in a boost in handling and rwhp. Definitely not interested in a blower.

Question 1: The handling kit lowers the car. I am advised that with 18 inch wheels I cannot use chains in the snow. Currently live where there is no snow but that could change in a few months. There are two kits, one that lowers 1.5 inches and another that lowers 1 inch. Which is preferred for 18 inch wheels? Any disadvantage with the 1 inch lowering kit?

Question 2: If I have Ford install the CAI with the Ford tune, has anyone had problems with the Ford new car warranty? I know I can install the CAI as I have all the necessary tools but am interested in keeping the warranty in effect. Has anyone had warranty problems with an aftermarket CAI and modest tune?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Nibsirb

im in the same boat as you man....if you hear anything as far as the CAI affecting the warranty let me know. honestly, i dont think it would void it but rather be safe than sorry.....
Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanged
I asked this on another forum and received no feedback.

I have a 09 GT Premium Coupe that is 100% stock with 18 inch wheels and approximately 1,000 miles. This is my first Mustang although my GF has a 07 GT convertible. I am interested in adding a handling kit and CAI. I will never take it to the drag strip so am only interested in a boost in handling and rwhp. Definitely not interested in a blower.

Question 1: The handling kit lowers the car. I am advised that with 18 inch wheels I cannot use chains in the snow. Currently live where there is no snow but that could change in a few months. There are two kits, one that lowers 1.5 inches and another that lowers 1 inch. Which is preferred for 18 inch wheels? Any disadvantage with the 1 inch lowering kit?

Question 2: If I have Ford install the CAI with the Ford tune, has anyone had problems with the Ford new car warranty? I know I can install the CAI as I have all the necessary tools but am interested in keeping the warranty in effect. Has anyone had warranty problems with an aftermarket CAI and modest tune?
The FRPP CAI is covered under warranty IF you have it installed by a certified installer AND you use Ford Racing's calibration. You won't gain as much power with their calibration vice, say, Brenspeed for example, but the tune addresses things other than just final power output. It's a brand new car (1k miles) so who cares about a couple RWHP? Keep the warranty. Call a local dealership and if they don't do the FRPP parts they should be able to find you one that does. Assuming you don't live in North Dakota it shouldn't be all that far away either.

I lowered my car 1.25" and also have 18 inch wheels with 235/50R/18's. Of course the lower the car the lower the center of gravity the better the handling etc. etc. but it seems like you're worried about clearance. With those tires and a 1.25" drop I've still got plenty of room in the wheel wells and am yet to scrape the undercarriage on anything.

Hope that helps some.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
stanged

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS

Hope that helps some.
Thanks Steve, yes it did help.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The FRPP CAI & tune combo is lame compared to a combo from Brenspeed, Bama, Tillman, or VMP. Ford can't disallow you warranty work unless they can prove the CAI &/or tune was the reason for the failure. But then, there are a lot of wuss's out there that allow dealerships to intimidate them. My delaerships service dept couldn't give a rats azz about my CAI & tune.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
stanged

Originally Posted by Nuke
The FRPP CAI & tune combo is lame compared to a combo from Brenspeed, Bama, Tillman, or VMP. Ford can't disallow you warranty work unless they can prove the CAI &/or tune was the reason for the failure. But then, there are a lot of wuss's out there that allow dealerships to intimidate them. My delaerships service dept couldn't give a rats azz about my CAI & tune.
I am taking my Mustang in to the dealer today for the first free oil change. I will find out what they say at least. What they say and what they do can be different.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

My dealer never said jack about my intake when my car was under warranty.

As for lowering, you do whatever looks best to you. Either way will look better than stock. I used Ford Racing's lowering springs for a 1.5" drop and I'm on 19" wheels. Looks good. What you need to keep in mind is that the lower you go, the more other issues you'll have to worry about. Alignment, shocks/struts/, panhard bar. There are a lot of posts on this subject that you'll want to search for. Read up before you leap into this.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

No one is address his concerns about chains for in the snow lol I would say just use studded tires.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

you can always by one of the better intake/tune combos from brenspeed, tillman, bamachips and so forth and when you have to bring it back to the dealer just swap everything back to stock and tune back to stock. the handheld programs have a "return to stock" option which saves your stock tune when you first plug it in
Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

I would second acarzt on studded tires. I just got my mustang, and though its still stock, I'm going to get studded tires I think rather than chains, less chance for fender damage, we'll see how this winter goes

Quick Reply: GT Handling Pack and CAI