Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

2005-2009 Mustang GT. Independent Rear Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default 2005-2009 Mustang GT. Independent Rear Suspension?

Do the 2005-2009 Mustang GT's come with a solid rear axle or do they come with Independent Rear Suspension (IRS)?

I always thought the GT's came with a solix rear axle.

Reason I ask is that I was going to get my car re aligned and for some reason the place's computer was saying that the GT's come with IRS and that the coupe V6 came with a solid rear axle.

They kept asking me, "Are you sure this is a GT?" and said "Maybe for some year model GT's they got the V6 suspension set up?"

So are they right or was there some sort of computer error at their shop?

I thought only the 2003-2004 Cobra's (Termi's) came with IRS as standard equipment and that if you wanted it on our GT's it had to be a special order. I thought even the GT500's (S197's) came with a solid rear axle and not IRS.

Can someone help me with all of this?
Thx!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-24-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

S197's all have a solid rear axle. I am not aware of any other rear suspension set up for them. The only Mustangs with IRS have been the 03-04 Cobra's.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
S197's all have a solid rear axle. I am not aware of any other rear suspension set up for them. The only Mustangs with IRS have been the 03-04 Cobra's.
+1 03-04 Cobras only
Old 09-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Live rear axle in these mustangs, like everyone else said, IRS in the 03 and 04 cobras.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Solid rear ftw!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

03-04 cobras were the only ones with the supercharger, but all cobras from 99-04 had the IRS, the only exception being '00 as ford didn't make a cobra that year because the '99s had quite a few problems not making advertised HP numbers.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

so regardless for almost all models of mustang they never came from the factory with an IRS (esp the newer S197 models). They do have 2 or 3 aftermarket companies that make an IRS for the S197's.....Saleen being one of them....
Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Run, don't walk, away from that shop.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Talked to them again.

For some reason the computer has some GT's listed as GT Coupes (which I thought just meant is was a hardtop).

For some reason it is listed different with a other GT's (which I had no clue there were.
He mentioned GTS etc.) But he said he called the Ford place and they said yes you are supposed to follow the instructions as read for a GT Coupe and la la la.

End story solid rear axle.

I was worried that maybe they put the wrong year model in the computer and it may have come up as IRS. But he said that the IRS was coming up in the GT like I said... when there never was an IRS in the GT on any year model. My only thought is software computer error.

I asked him to make sure he did put the right year model in that way... when they ordered the kit to fix the alignment, they did not get the wrong kit.
I called this morning to double check and he said they checked again and it was the right year model so they got the right kit.. so they are fixing the alignment now.

Whew...
I have NEVER had problems with this shop before and have been there many times for work. Is there anything I need to be worried about here? (If they DID get the wrong year kit for the car or something?
What if they got a kit for a solid rear axle but got the wrong year kit for some reason?)

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-25-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Exclamation Update on my Alignment Story. I need help!

Took my car to a shop I have used for years to get my car re aligned.

When they looked up my year model car... it showed the GT having IRS and the Couple having solid rear axle.
Went throught this whole hub bub of them thinking I had a car that might have a Gt engine but a coupe (what they thought was v6), rear axle for some reason. That or they said a computer error which they thought more likely.

I was positive the 2005-2009 GT's all had solid rear axle.
So I had them call the ford house to verify.
Ford house guy said yes the GT's came with solid rear axle.
For some reason these GT's are listed as GT coupes (and not for vert/coupe differences). So you have to follow the "coupe" as far as getting a kit for the alignment and not "GT".

Very odd stuff that made me uncomfortable.
I asked them to check and make sure they did not enter the wrong year model car... so that they could make sure they got the right kit for re aligning it.
(Just in case the IRS thing was due to a year model typo in the computer)
He said they double checked and that they got the right year model but for some reason the computer has the cars listed that way.

I just hope they DID get the right year model in there.
What if they got the wrong year model?
Will it matter if they use a different year model kit to re align the car as long as it is solid rear axle just like my car?

If they did that would the kit just not fit? Or would it work but mess up my car?
I have no clue on this stuff and need some help bad.
Thx!

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Mustang GT. Independent Rear Suspension?