Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni Str.t and Steeda Sport Spring review

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Default Koni Str.t and Steeda Sport Spring review

I had been battling what to get for some time and finally pulled the trigger and had ordered a set of Koni Str.ts and Steeda Sports. I also added the GT500 replacement strut mounts for good measure.

All I have to say is, "WOW"
The springs do a noticeable job lowering the car without causing any bottoming out issues on the road. Even on semi steep driveway entrances, I have had no problems!
The dampers are all I wanted, and then some!
All of my suspension concerns have been answered. My main issue was the floatiness you feel with the stock GT suspension when pushing it thru a corner. This is completely gone, and you feel as if the entire car is one big spoiler, causing each corner to stick to the road. Short jaunts going from turn to turn (s type) is phenomenal. The car feels so much more balanced. On long sweeping hwy on ramps, I can easily enter, and sustain a higher speed. 10-15mph and more. The car feels that much more solid and your confidence soars.
As a bonus, every vehicle I have driven has had issues with entering off camber type turns, for example, making a left hand turn onto another road, and the road pitches to the right..and then the car wants to throw itself to the curb on that right side. This is gone.
It truly is incredible.
The one thing I will say I did not expect, is how much more stiff the ride is. I drove on a 500 mile trip after doing the work, and I must say, I felt like I was getting sea sick on the worst of roads. Would this cause me not to have this setup? Absolutely not! The majority of my driving is done in 20 minute stints. If I have longer drives, oh well.
I cannot say for sure that the upgraded strut mounts have any affect on this setup. I really did not have any complaints or noises from the old mounts, but figured I would throw the new ones on as I had everything else apart. I could not see spending the $300 for the Steeda units.
I had an alignment done for good measure after the work and the left front showed -1.4 degrees of camber and the right front showed -2.0 I don't know if this was due to inaccuracy of the machine or if this is built into the Mustang. The steedas could have addressed this, but I will see how this set of tires wears and go from there.

Overall, I'd give the setup an A+ for what I need.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

Why Steeda Sport and not Ultralites? Just curious.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Good feedback on the STR.Ts!

I am sure the ride stiffness is from the Steeda Sports.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs. I'm always amused when folks expect a "stock" ride when they both cut the working travel and add higher spring rates. The fact is the Steeda Sports are stiffer, but aren't super, super stiff in any way, shape or form. In fact thye are less aggressive and not as low as say Eibach Pro-kits.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sp44
Why Steeda Sport and not Ultralites? Just curious.
I remember picking the sports. Do I remember more of a drop on the Ultralites, and didn't want to go that route?
Also, I remember reading that the ultralites were thinner in construction than the sports, and that just irked me a bit as to how will they fair long term.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs. I'm always amused when folks expect a "stock" ride when they both cut the working travel and add higher spring rates. The fact is the Steeda Sports are stiffer, but aren't super, super stiff in any way, shape or form. In fact thye are less aggressive and not as low as say Eibach Pro-kits.
I expected a stiffer ride, but did not know just how stiff. This was my first suspension upgrade to this extent and did not know exactly what the feel was going to be like, except to say that it would probably fix my complaints. So there was a bit of surprise to the feel, but the results are just awesome. I can live with that.
The pro kits were not an option. Too low a drop.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

I also picked the sports, but find them far from stiff, and wish I would've got the stiffer ones, that they don't seem to sell anymore.
It may be because mine is a convertible, and I'm running the stock shocks and struts.
And I also worried about the ultralites, holding up over time.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have to shake my head. It's not anything personal, but I see comments like this day in and day out from folks who rely solely on internet opinion, and don't take the time call someone, say... like me. Who not only does this for a living, but is a gearhead, has experience with these things, and maybe most importanly is willing to dole out information gleaned from experience.

There is so much information that's bad it's not funny. Twice in this thread I've read that folks are worried because the spring is thinner diameter. IT'S A DIFFERENT MATERIAL guys, doesn't have to be the same wire size to be the same rate. And I assure you the material is very durable, I also use it for springs I have made for F-bodies, and someday might do the same for Mustangs should I see the need to do something different. Still assessing that.

I'm not kidding now. This is at least the 2nd or 3 time in about a week I've seen folks make decisions that are a little short-sighted. I don't know what the deal is, but I need you folks to understand my job, and how I make my living, and how I've gotten the reputation I have (which is pretty good if I do say so myself) is by being honest and upfront with customers, and selling product for fair pricing.

I really wish you guys would take the benefit of my experience.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm considering the Steeda ultralites myself. Steeda springs are top-notch. The Comps I'm running are a bit stiff for my liking in daily driving. I'm considering cranking my large diameter Hotchkis swaybars down to max and going with a lighter spring like ultralites.

Like Sam mentioned, the ultralite construction is alloy similar to vogtlands. It's lighter and stronger with a smaller diameter. I really like em' and will probably pick up a set....once I take care of my other nagging nuances..
Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I'm considering the Steeda ultralites myself. Steeda springs are top-notch. The Comps I'm running are a bit stiff for my liking in daily driving. I'm considering cranking my large diameter Hotchkis swaybars down to max and going with a lighter spring like ultralites.

Like Sam mentioned, the ultralite construction is alloy similar to vogtlands. It's lighter and stronger with a smaller diameter. I really like em' and will probably pick up a set....once I take care of my other nagging nuances..
Yeah, I was right about remembering that the ultralites are described to sit lower as well. Just didn't want to go that route

Quick Reply: Koni Str.t and Steeda Sport Spring review