Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Drag & DD suspension

Old 10-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Default Drag & DD suspension

My mustang is my daily driver and I like to take it to the local track every once in a while. I am wanting some springs that would not lower my car and if they did, not much, that would be good for traction at the track. Also, shocks and struts. I run 275-40-17's on the rear on 17 X 9 wheels. I am going to need some brakes also pretty soon and would like to get some new brakes, rotors, and calipers that will fit in a 17" wheel. Any suggestions?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

For springs, I suggest the Steeda Ultralites. Only lowers the car an inch. Lowering your car will effect your drag times, especially your 60's. Just FYI.

For shocks i recommend the adjustable Tokico's.

My car is pretty close to being a DD and I take it to the track as well. I would look into getting some LCA's also. They will help with wheel hop when coming out of the hole.

Last edited by Croft; 10-24-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darren05
My mustang is my daily driver and I like to take it to the local track every once in a while. I am wanting some springs that would not lower my car and if they did, not much, that would be good for traction at the track. Also, shocks and struts. I run 275-40-17's on the rear on 17 X 9 wheels. I am going to need some brakes also pretty soon and would like to get some new brakes, rotors, and calipers that will fit in a 17" wheel. Any suggestions?
Why do you feel you need to upgrade the rotors and calipers?

Even for road course track users the normal recommend is better fluid and pads and then SS lines and if you are on tracks with a lot of braking then front brake cooling.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Why do you feel you need to upgrade the rotors and calipers?

Even for road course track users the normal recommend is better fluid and pads and then SS lines and if you are on tracks with a lot of braking then front brake cooling.
Just figured slotted rotors with better brakes and calipers would last longer than the stock set up. If not, I wont do the upgrade.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07CaliGTstang
For springs, I suggest the Steeda Ultralites. Only lowers the car an inch. Lowering your car will effect your drag times, especially your 60's. Just FYI.

For shocks i recommend the adjustable Tokico's.

My car is pretty close to being a DD and I take it to the track as well. I would look into getting some LCA's also. They will help with wheel hop when coming out of the hole.
I have the lower control arms already. I will be running 275-60-15's on 15 X 8 wheels at the track. That will effect my e.t's and 60's more than springs will. Just wasn't sure if that would fit with lowering springs. Was curious if there was a performance spring out there that didn't lower the car. If not, I would want the least amount of drop. As for the shocks, i've been looking at the D-spec's like you suggested, just wondering if there are any other adjustables out there with a good rep. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darren05
I have the lower control arms already. I will be running 275-60-15's on 15 X 8 wheels at the track. That will effect my e.t's and 60's more than springs will. Just wasn't sure if that would fit with lowering springs. Was curious if there was a performance spring out there that didn't lower the car. If not, I would want the least amount of drop. As for the shocks, i've been looking at the D-spec's like you suggested, just wondering if there are any other adjustables out there with a good rep. Thanks for the input.
the Cobra Jet Ford drag car comes with stock, V6 springs in the rear. You won't lose any ride height, your tires will fit and it should help your 60' times. And they're cheap and abundantly available. Those and your shocks and LCA's, you're set.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Croft
3rd Gear Member

Yep, was going to suggest that Ken........thanks.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Thanks for yall's help. Excellent suggestion, I never would have thought of that.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I just upgraded to centric premium rotors. hawk HPS pads, I had warped my stock rotors due to power breaking at the track , for drag racing you need thicker rotors with better pads, slotted and drilled may look cool but thats' less surface area for pad to make contact, also slotted/drilled are more suited for road racing as you are constantly on the brakes and cooling is a bigger issue.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by desslok40
for drag racing you need thicker rotors with better pads
Better pads should be sufficient.

slotted/drilled are more suited for road racing as you are constantly on the brakes and cooling is a bigger issue.
Nope.
Drilled rotors are far more likely to crack from the huge amounts of heat generated extremely rapidly and repeatedly in the road-racing environment. The original reason for drilling rotors had to do with the pads generating lots of gas at high temperature and actually floating the pads off the rotor surfaces. It isn't much of an issue any longer given appropriate pad choice; the severe thermal transients are.

I suspect that going with softer rear springs will eventually have you looking for better shocks, LCA relocating brackets, or both.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-11-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag & DD suspension