Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni Yellow/Springs vs. Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:14 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Roush now sells their Track Pak Coilovers for $1500 making it a much better deal than before. I would run those if i didnt have my teins.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Why? What do you know about them? What are the spring rates? What are they on your Tein's?

Guys, it's simply a matter of marketing, and folks go goo-goo for a name they know. I have never, ever been on a set of Tein's that worked really well, even in in Japanese cars. The Roush Trak-pak, ok... tell me what's so great. Who makes the dampers? What is their damping curve like, what are the spring rates, etc. etc.

Eibach dampers, suck. In fact it wasn't a long time I ago I had a kid @ an Evo School who obviously had the car lowered... I noticed and not big deal. Then I had to ride in it, it was so underdamped it wasn't funny. The car just slammed from side to side. I saw the car had some miles on it, and mentioned to him he should replace his shocks since they were so sloppy. At which point he told me he had an Eibach kit, including the dampers. Again, you have the same issues. Eibach makes springs (and don't do that as well as they used to either IMHO), but not dampers--and they are different things.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Rampant

I have always been a little suspect of Eibach stuff. They just can't properly test anything when they produce so many parts. And Roush/Steeda/et al. usually just private label other stuff (usually Eibach). But, at least they should (repeat, should) have some more testing/refinement involved. But, even then, their focus isn't narrow enough to produce the best parts IMHO.

Also, after further research, I am probably going to go with a twin-tube setup. Which pretty much makes it Koni/springs v. KW. Would the coilovers give any extra travel or anything? Would having the springs matched to the dampers make any difference, or are the Koni's close enough to most aftermarket springs.

I guess the bottom line is will the KW's give any other benefit besides setting specific ride height/corner weighting?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Sam and everyone, Saleen is now going to a coil over system for better performance as they claim, with all their cars standard. What brand would they be using for decent street ride but improved cornering ?? It seems now with "power and handling in the hands of a few" they would have to be fairly confident about them. What do you think?? Erik
Old 11-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
It seems now with "power and handling in the hands of a few" they would have to be fairly confident about them. What do you think?? Erik
The "pull" from the emotional content in that slogan that comes across as a warning flag to me. That's not why you should be buying these parts, or cars so equipped. Is there any technical detail in their advertising claims? That's what it would take to "sell" this product to me - hardcore technical products need to be sold on their technical merit, not on some implied "feel-good" message.

These parts may well represent improvement, but it'll take more than a slogan to convince me.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-30-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Rampant

Originally Posted by eolson
Sam and everyone, Saleen is now going to a coil over system for better performance as they claim, with all their cars standard.
When I talked to them, just the S281 would get the coilovers standard. The 435S would get the regular springs/dampers.
Didn't catch who made them though.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

As far as the Roush Trak Pak -

I know for a fact that Roush uses KW. My KW kit was based off data they collected while developing stuff for them.

As far as Eibach -

They do make some of their shocks, but I don't know if they make all of them. I've personally been in the shop. I've been all through their facility, and they actually do quite a bit of testing. I haven't had any issues in the past with products of theirs that I have used, but YMMV.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Probably because they didn't actually want to tell you, or any other details.... I bet you'd be hard pressed to get even approxmiate spring rates out of them.

Look guys, you need to understand that the term "coil-over" is not magical. Hell, technically the fronts are coil-over already (in that the spring is over the damper). And most setups in the rear don't actually put the coil over the damper either (some do, but then the entire weight of the back of the car is resting on rubber bushings).

Springs rates are springs rates, damper rates are damper rates, doesn't much matter (can, but not so much on this car) "where" the springs reside. Coil-overs, as they are commonly referred to means they have adjustable height. But doesn't mean the dampers are adjustable. I for one would much rather have adjustable damping than adjsutable height. If you want both, fine.... but frankly for most folks it's overkill (and ironically some dampers are still lacking).

If you get coil-overs, do yourself a favor and get a setup that has adjustable shocks. I don't care if you get Koni Sports and use a GC conversion (their service sucks, which is why I stopped selling them), but I can get you the Koni's when they are around. A Steeda kit, KW's.... Have them all, Eibach and H&R too. But some Eibach and all H&R's lack damping adjustment and that's an issue if you are really trying to tune the car. If you aren't, and you just want the height adjustment to nit-pick the look, that's a different story. I work on handling, I can't be the judge of what you think looks good. But the lower you go the worse the car will work.