Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni STR.T's

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Default Koni STR.T's

Anyone using these shocks? I was thinking about upgrading my OEM shocks to Koni Sports, but they are on back order with no end in sight. After talking to Sam Strano I am looking at the Koni STR.T's (and maybe even changing my springs from Pro-kits to Steeda Sports for a little less spring rate).
The car is my DD. Present set-up seems a bit harsh and under-dampened.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I installed the Koni adjustable yellows two years ago. Been happy with the improvement but the car still rough on bumpy roads. I also have Roush springs front and back and an Edelbrock 3pt strut tower brace.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
johnpagenola
1st Gear Member

I purchased and installed the Koni STR.T's in July. Since then I have driven on the highways and local streets of Louisiana, no doubt some of the worst-maintained on the planet.

Sam Strano told me these are similar to the Koni adjustables near full soft. This is what I wanted because I have a convertible and do not want to rattle the car loose over time with firmer springs and associated dampers.

The Koni's keep the tires on the road much better than the stock dampers without additional harshness. The car feels much more "planted" and in control. I would recommend them for any Mustang with the stock springs.

I do not race and have not lowered the car, so I have no opinion about how it would fit in those situations.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:00 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

JohnP,
Thanks. I will likely also change my springs to the Steeda Sports as a compromise between the Eibachs and OEM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:59 PM
johnpagenola
1st Gear Member

I would recommend you talk to Sam Strano (814-849-3450) before you buy springs and dampers. He is familiar with how these things interact. You don't want your dampers too soft for your springs, so with non-stock springs you may need the adjustables set firmer. However, I really don't know.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

I bought my Koni STR.T's from Sam and I'm very happy with the results. Stock springs, FRPP LCA's. No more hippity hop over little bumps in the turns and definitely worth the money.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

I have the Koni STR.T dampers, Steeda Sport Springs and Steeda HD Strut Mounts on my car, all purchased from Sam, and I'm very pleased with this combination. The car handles most road conditions very well, although you will know you have stiffer springs than stock and the stance of the car is exactly what I wanted. Nose dive under hard braking is well controlled as well as body roll when cornering agressively and the side stepping of the rear end when mid-corner road irregularities are encountered has been completely eliminated. I have the the camber set at -0.85 degrees and the toe at 0, slightly less than what Sam suggested and I haven't experienced any understeer or oversteer while driving agressively on the local canyon roads. The car is an ablolute joy to drive fast!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I put a set of STR.Ts on the rear of my car to try to get the back end to stop skittering around over crappy roads. As soon as I had it off the jack stands and rolling down the driveway I could feel the difference. The whole rear end was better behaved under all conditions. Mind you, I have the stock springs on it but the STR.Ts were definitely the way to go for daily duty on my car.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
WYO07GT
2nd Gear Member

This only confirms my choice. As soon as I have the cash, these will be going on mine.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnpagenola
I would recommend you talk to Sam Strano (814-849-3450) before you buy springs and dampers. He is familiar with how these things interact. You don't want your dampers too soft for your springs, so with non-stock springs you may need the adjustables set firmer. However, I really don't know.
Yes, I spoke with Sam Friday. His primary recommendation is to change the shocks (currently OEM). He really likes the Koni adjustables, but they are on indefinite back-order. He thought I might try leaving the FRPP/Eibach springs, but after talking to him about other spring options, I think the Steeda sport springs will result in a lower than stock, but less stiff than FRPP, ride.

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T's