Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hawk HPS pads/QC

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Hawk HPS pads/QC

I replaced my front rotors with DBA 4000 series and Hawk HPS pads tonight. From the time I took the Hawks out of the wrapper a pad spring fell off. Then another and another. Seemed really sad theres no better QC than that.

I had to put one pad on with no pad springs but was able to reattach the others. One even broke with barely an effort to relocate it! Very weak.
The rear duralast gold pads seemed to be better constructed than these Hawks.
Opinions/insights?

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 11-28-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I replaced my front rotors with DBA 4000 series and Hawk HPS pads tonight. From the time I took the Hawks out of the wrapper a pad spring fell off. Then another and another. Seemed really sad theres no better QC than that.

I had to put one pad on with no pad springs but was able to reattach the others. One even broke with barely an effort to relocate it! Very weak.
The rear duralast gold pads were more well made than these Hawks.
Opinions/insights?
What springs are you referring to; the spring clips that come with the rear pads? My Duralast Gold Cmax front pads come with a anti-rattle retainer, but no springs.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yes, the "anti rattle retainer". One of passenger-side pads retainers broke in half trying to reattach it and I gave up trying to reattach the other. What are the consequences of not having them on one of the pads? Noise?

I completed the brake/rotor job in about 15 minutes and fought with those damn clips for another 15. Frustrating...
Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Yeah I had the same problem on my hawk HPS fronts. The rear spring design is totally different even on the hawk pads. I used super high temp loctite brand glue to glue the spring clips back on the brake pads and then put them in, since the damn spring clips pop off every time you try to install them.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 AM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

u don't need them. don't worry about it.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Yeah I had the same problem on my hawk HPS fronts. The rear spring design is totally different even on the hawk pads. I used super high temp loctite brand glue to glue the spring clips back on the brake pads and then put them in, since the damn spring clips pop off every time you try to install them.
Ah yes, some red loktite would have done the trick. After driving around this morning I can't say anything negative about the pads other than the poor clip design. They do work great.

u don't need them. don't worry about it.
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Yep, they fall off all the time. I just run without them.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Just installed AZ Duramax Gold Cmax rear brake pads on my GT500 so now I know what you mean by the springs. The springs seem pretty robust on the AZ pads. The Duramax pads appear to be very high quality and well made.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 11-29-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

It is a totally different design front and rear, so you can't compare brand quality if you only install them in the rear. The rear design is much better than the front as far as the spring clips go.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
V6Vin
1st Gear Member

Maybe someone who has the Hawks can tell me, are the ceramics any better then the others? do they stop better or last longer?

Thanks, Vince.

Quick Reply: Hawk HPS pads/QC