Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

What shocks and struts to get?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM
REDFIRE_GT_BEAST
2nd Gear Member

Default What shocks and struts to get?

Just wondering what shocks and struts do you guys like better? I was looking at those tokico's and the ford racing ones and maybe the Eibach ones as well.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Well, there is more than just one set of Tokico's... And in any event, I never bother with "blues" or HP's (same thing). Becaue you can get better dampers for similar price in the Koni STR.T's.

D-specs are the only Tokico I ever really use as the price is not to Koni or Bilstein level, and they offer adjustment. However, for that price you get a shock that is not quite as well put together or durable as Koni Sports or Bilstein's are, so I tend to not do as many as I used to. Price wise they are great. Performance wise they are pretty good. Warranty service wise--they suck (all Tokico's do).

The FRPP dampers... I hate them. Yeah they have better control--but ride very hard at the same time. And again, the warranty thing.

I like Koni because they back up their product with a real, and honored lifetime warranty (to the original owner). @ $409/set they don't break the bank. And they ride a hell of a lot better than the FRPP's do. Give better damping and build quality than non-adjustable Tokico's do. The only other shocks here I'd recommend would be D-specs if you need adjustment (never a bad idea). But when adjustables are wanted or necessary I still prefer the Koni's--the Sport version, over the D-specs.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:10 AM
REDFIRE_GT_BEAST
2nd Gear Member

Good deal look's like i got someone with some knowledge in this field. That's great you really made my mind i think i will go with the knoi's and have heard some good thing's about the D-Specs but from the way you talk Im going to take the safe route. Thanks alot for your help.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Bear in mind that I sell all those brands, many do not and will therefore 'recommend' one over another for that reason.

Tokico's are cheaper, and have been out longer, and big vendors like Steeda (whom I'm a dealer for) use them exclusively, so many think they are the cat's ***, pardon the term.

Not terrible, but again there are different versions of both Tokico and Koni (right there that's 4 different choices). Bilstein has but one, making for a total of 5 options, and there are more beyond those but those are the best unless you go to coil-overs which isn't on the radar.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

good info, I am thinking that I am going to go with the D specs only because if I ever make it to the drag strip I have heard that the ability to make the rear full soft and front full hard helps dramaticaly with launch, and with how easy it is to readjust them, can set them back to my street settings and have a comfy ride home.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I'm ordering the KONI STR.T's this coming Spring. I have heard it is good to replace the upper strut mounts at the same time , so I got a set of GT 500 mounts.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 AM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I'm ordering the KONI STR.T's this coming Spring. I have heard it is good to replace the upper strut mounts at the same time , so I got a set of GT 500 mounts.
That's the combination I have and I'm very pleased with the results. i also bought the FRPP LCA's to help out the rear.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDWalton
good info, I am thinking that I am going to go with the D specs only because if I ever make it to the drag strip I have heard that the ability to make the rear full soft and front full hard helps dramaticaly with launch, and with how easy it is to readjust them, can set them back to my street settings and have a comfy ride home.
That would be backwards.... you'd want the front soft to promote quicker weight transfer at the strip, and the rear softer to help the car squat (less compression).

Koni Sport are still better at this, and unlike the D-specs don't link compression and rebound damping together. For instance out back you'd like to have softer compression and more rebound to hold the car down and keep the tires better loaded when you are drag racing. You can't do that on D-specs. Both are either softer, or both are stiffer.

And that's setting aside the actually differences in feel you get on the street and the quality and warranty service differences.

For the price (remember that disclaimer) D-specs work well. But don't think because they are adjustable they work in the same way the Koni Sports do. Because of broad, linked damping changes I find while the D-spec have a lot of "range" very little of it is useful to me, much more of the Koni range is because it's basic valving is much more in the correct range.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That would be backwards.... you'd want the front soft to promote quicker weight transfer at the strip, and the rear softer to help the car squat (less compression).

Koni Sport are still better at this, and unlike the D-specs don't link compression and rebound damping together. For instance out back you'd like to have softer compression and more rebound to hold the car down and keep the tires better loaded when you are drag racing. You can't do that on D-specs. Both are either softer, or both are stiffer.

And that's setting aside the actually differences in feel you get on the street and the quality and warranty service differences.

For the price (remember that disclaimer) D-specs work well. But don't think because they are adjustable they work in the same way the Koni Sports do. Because of broad, linked damping changes I find while the D-spec have a lot of "range" very little of it is useful to me, much more of the Koni range is because it's basic valving is much more in the correct range.

Oh.. thanks for the correction and info, clearly I was missinformed before.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

I have Koni STR.Ts going on next week. I'll give you some feedback if you're interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What shocks and struts to get?