Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

17s or 18s

Old 12-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default 17s or 18s

Enkei makes the RPF1 wheel which fits our car and looks decent. I'm tempted to get a set this summer. I want to maintain at or near stock overall diameter. Having difficulty deciding what to get here.

The 17x9 weighs 15.5 pounds.
The 18x9.5 weighs 18.6 pounds.

M&H makes a 275/50/17 drag radial. MT makes a 295/45/17. I'm not crazy about the M&H because of the 27.8" height and the MT will (maybe?) fit a 9" rim. That's it for drag radials that will fit this wheel.

M&H makes a 275/45/18 drag radial. Also a tall tire. Nitto makes the 285/40/18 NT555R.

With summer tires I'm limited to 255/50/17 if I want to maintain stock OD. Nothing any wider will work. I have more selection in the 18" wheel size for summer tires that match the stock OD.

The upside to the 17 is the weight savings, the downside the tire selection.

What do you guys think? Straight line acceleration is the priority here.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

You did read the name on the door when you cam in here right? (S197 Handling Section)

I would personally go with the taller tire for better sidewall flex and bigger footprint.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah the handling section seemed like the right place to be asking tire questions.

Ideally you would typically want the smallest wheel and tire you can get away with and still maintain traction if you want to maximize performance.

I'm just having a tough time deciding if the tradeoff to going with the 17" rims is worth it. It's kind of nice to be able to run a 285mm wide summer tire w/the 18s.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Ideally you would typically want the smallest wheel and tire you can get away with and still maintain traction if you want to maximize performance.

NHRA Stock Eliminator guys all run 30" tall by 9" wide tires - the class limit. Why do you suppose that is when they could run 26's for less money?

...for the reasons I already stated.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Get the enkei's in 18x9.5 for street usage with some good 275/35-40 series all around or 295/35 rear for street use and something else for the dragstrip. You want as tall a sidewall/high deflection for traction like rodeo's comment regarding the NHRA guys running 30'' tires but not to drive around on the street. dragstrip tires and performance street/track tires are opposing spectrum. I went with the 285/40's trying to straddle the fence on sidewall/traction and handling and now wish I'd gone with lighter weight 35 series.

why do you care about maintaining stock diameter? are these going to be used only at the dragstrip or daily driven? Dragstrip guys choose a tire diameter along with gearing to put them through the traps at the top of a gear in their optimum power-producing rpm. You have to factor all that in.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 12-31-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
NHRA Stock Eliminator guys all run 30" tall by 9" wide tires - the class limit. Why do you suppose that is when they could run 26's for less money?
Maybe because they have a ridiculous amount of power? As in more than I will ever have in this car? At some point you absolutely MUST go with a tire like that. I'm far, FAR from that point.

I care about maintaining stock diameter because I don't intend to lower the car and I don't want a bigger gap in the sidewall than I have. Performance isn't the ONLY consideration or I'd get little 15" bogarts and put some 26" tall mickey thompsons on there. But it would look like complete utter crap.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

If you want the straight line performanceI would go with the taller side for the side wall flex, Its what you are using it for and will do the job.One good thing about running a smaller tire than stock is you will lower your gear ratio, Bad side is you dont get that needed sidewall flex for traction on the drag strip. Your decision on what is good for you!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I care about maintaining stock diameter because I don't intend to lower the car and I don't want a bigger gap in the sidewall than I have. Performance isn't the ONLY consideration or I'd get little 15" bogarts and put some 26" tall mickey thompsons on there. But it would look like complete utter crap.
Ahhh, I see. Fender gap is your issue. I understand now. The tradeoff between traction/handling still comes into play.

As for running drag radials on the street, I did for awhile and am glad I returned to performance street tires. I was running 305/35 rear and 275/40 fronts...looked good on the 9.5'' rims, hooked up great from a dig but handling wasn't great. You could feel the soft sidewall rolling. Nitto makes a great street/drag/autocross tire in that size, the 555RII's. That may be the best of both worlds, traction for straight line acceleration, soft 100 treadwear rating and a stiffer sidewall than a pure drag radial for better handling. Expensive though.

Don't those RPF1's have a 32 offset? Wonder how that will look...
Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They make a 17x9 and 18.5 that is 45mm 5x114. Chrome, black, and gold I think.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I guess a 9.5''-10'' in 45 offset wouldn't be bad. hmmm... my next investment will be trimming my wheel/tire weights. I've looked at those RPF1's and the steeda ultralite I's for S197 (supposed 21-23# ea), which I like but don't come in black..

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 12-31-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17s or 18s