Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wheels for the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
yeah, t'aint cheap . at least you're doing it right the first time so thats a plus.
Depends on your definition of first time. I am on my second set of OE rotors, second set of street tires (already need replacing), and fourth set of pads. I have had the car about... 8 months. This is my first time diverging from the OE components though.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I was judging by the "first set of aftermarket wheels" but it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with her! I place wheels, tires, brake pads and rotors in the "consumables" category anyway
Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Phew! Looks like I got them just in time. I just recieved notice that my bank account was charged for $799.80 (gotta love buying online, no tax). That means I got them while they was still free shipping (they removed the deal sometime today).
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I hate to keep pimping these things but Enkei RPF1 are available in 18x9.5 and are only 18.6 pounds. 17.9 are 15.5 pounds.

$260 each though.
Ok, Ok, Ok! You've forced me to come out of hiding...the shame I can bear no longer alone...

Yeah, the RPF1's are awesome! Ask me how I know...
I just got them last week, and just returned them this weekend.

First, by my scale they're even frippin' lighter than advertised. W/o air valve or wheel weights, the 18x9.5" (+45mm offset) wheels I got were 17 lbs ea. I weighed them half a dozen times, only once coming up with 18 lbs, but the bottom line is they're crazy light for this price.

Second, the black version is now available in this size. GORGEOUS! And black hides brake dust; perfect for a track wheel. I paid around $300/wheel for the black versions.

Now the deal-killer; they absolutely will not clear a BBK for our cars. I tried templates for Stoptech, Bear, Wilwood (extrapolated), and AP Racing. Bad, all bad, the only one coming close is the AP Racing and even that requires a half-inch spacer (which of course, in this offset, would bring the wheel outside the fender). Since I was given an offer on a Stoptech set up I couldn't refuse (and it's on its way), I was undone.

No, actually, I was heartbroken. I LOVE these wheels, and I thought I had verified fitment. Where I got that bone-head idea, who knows!? I'm an idiot. There, I said it, I'm a damn idiot! *Kids, don't try this at home...I'm a professional.*

There...catharsis...

-j
Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Man do you have any pictures?? I've been wanting to see what an s197 looks like with those on there for a while now.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Philostang
Ok, Ok, Ok! You've forced me to come out of hiding...the shame I can bear no longer alone...

Yeah, the RPF1's are awesome! Ask me how I know...
I just got them last week, and just returned them this weekend.

Now the deal-killer; they absolutely will not clear a BBK for our cars. I tried templates for Stoptech, Bear, Wilwood (extrapolated), and AP Racing. Bad, all bad, the only one coming close is the AP Racing and even that requires a half-inch spacer (which of course, in this offset, would bring the wheel outside the fender). Since I was given an offer on a Stoptech set up I couldn't refuse (and it's on its way), I was undone.

No, actually, I was heartbroken. I LOVE these wheels, and I thought I had verified fitment. Where I got that bone-head idea, who knows!? I'm an idiot. There, I said it, I'm a damn idiot! *Kids, don't try this at home...I'm a professional.*

There...catharsis...

-j
That is one reason I originally went with the Steeda Ultra Lites - as they sold the same wheel for the GT500 I knew they would clear my GT500 Brembo front brake kit which I ordered at the same time!

They are also one tough wheel - I dropped a wheel really hard into a deep off track rut and bent the wheel but it didn't break.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Sorry Riptide, I just took them out of the box for fitment verification using templates. I never mounted tires (couldn't return them if I did) nor did I mount them on the hub. I did take pics of the one wheel itself as well as the template interference.

Yeah Sleep, I hear you on the guaranteed fit of the Ultra Lites and I may go with them for a street wheel (or the Ultra Lite 1s or Pentars...). I want something a bit lighter for track wheels. I'm hoping to stay in the 21-22 lb range. Steeda actually quoted me 23 lbs for the silver Ultra Lite 1s.

Hmmm...if I could warm up a bit more to the 5Zigen FN01R-C (18x9.5" w/+35mm offset) I might get them. A buddy of mine has them, verified fit over Brembo calipers, and they're a mere 19 lbs. I'm not thrilled with their look, and I'm still not hardcore enough to discount my aesthetic sensibilities (even on the track)...but I'm getting there!

Best,
-j
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

My solution was GT500 wheels painted black w/ Duplicolor rattle cans.
Attached Thumbnails Wheels for the track-hhr.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdwardGT
My solution was GT500 wheels painted black w/ Duplicolor rattle cans.
Those most likely weigh more though.

I went with the Steeda Ultra-Lite 1's... I'll let you guys know how they do sometime towards the middle of February, that's the next track day. Unless I can contact my buddy who is a member at the track and have them open up the course so I can go make some test runs.

I am *most likely* going to be running the Nitto NT01 275/40/ZR18 tires. Can't say I will be able to give professional feedback since I am still somewhat inexperienced but I'll do my best.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
I am *most likely* going to be running the Nitto NT01 275/40/ZR18 tires. Can't say I will be able to give professional feedback since I am still somewhat inexperienced but I'll do my best.
In that case, don't buy NT01's. There is no need to learn on a $1200 set of tires. Run on El Cheapo street tires and run 'em down to the cords.

Quick Reply: Wheels for the track