Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wheels for the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Bear with me now...first time trying this...

Well that worked!

How about this...

How's that?
Ok...closer...

I did it! I'm embarrassingly impressed with myself just now...

Last edited by Philostang; 01-13-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I've got more info to pass along, but I wanted to show 14901490 what I was talking about. The wheel here is almost identical to what you're running. This is an 18x9.5" wheel with +35mm offset. My car is lowered 1" and I run approx. -2 deg. camber. This is a shot from the front with a weighted line taped on the fender.

(I get to play w/new found tech-knowledge!)

Ok, the distance from the line to the tire is 1/8" and the edge of this particular wheel sits another 3/16" in from the outermost edge of the tire. So if you run a similar set up, but spaced out another 22 mm (25 mm spacer, minus the 3 mm difference in offset), you're looking at a tire that is sitting a good 7/8" outside of the fender. Your wheel will be 11/16" outside the fender. There's a lot of ways to tweak stuff, but this seems like a bit of a pill to swallow.

Best,
-j
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

And just for giggles, a shot of the back...thanks for the tech help guys!
(And thanks to SoundGuyDave for the loaner wheels!)

Best,
-j
Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I use imageshack.us and then once it's uploaded, simply copy the direct link and put tags around it

[ IMG ] (post link here) [ /IMG ]

Except without all the spaces. Same thing the insert image button does when making posts. Simply take the direct link, click the little buttom with the mountain and moon and then past the link in there. It will create the tags for you automatically.

Nice looking wheels ya got thar!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so a few bits of information.

The above wheels are 5Zigens FN0R1-C 18x9.5", +35mm offset, 23 lbs.

The FN0R1-C were once produced under the 5Zigen wheel line, but are now produced under the ProRacer lineup (still same company, even same website). They are most definitely not out of production, and they're called FN01R-C Hot Version. Ok, whatever. Anyway, if you're interested, they're currently easily obtainable for $1,050 (incl. tax and/or shipping). Folks might be trying to sell off the last of their stock on the older version, but specs (incl. weight) are all the same. The only discernible difference I could spot is that the older ones have the 5Zigen logo painted on or as sticker. The new ones have it cast into the wheel spoke. The ones in the pics above are the newer version.

Outer fender clearance is explained above.
Strut clearance wearing 275/35 Hoosier R6 is a hair over 5/8", which should mean you can go with the exact same wheel/tire size with as much as +45 mm offset with no problems at all.
Brake clearance is HUGE!! Holy hell, these things swallow every 14" brake template I have with ease.

For a comparison, I weighed my 18" OEM wheel currently shod with 245/40 Toyo R1R, and it came in at 48 lbs. The tire spec is 25 lbs (they're fairly fresh), so that puts our 18x8.5" wheel at around 23 lbs. Not bad.

I'm still researching to see if the new Enkei PF01 wheels will clear the Stoptech 14" brakes. They're confirmed to clear the Brembos on the EVO X, so I'm hopeful they're good to go. If I get a definite yes, they're going to be at least one of the sets I get. I just wish I could get them in black (for the track set).

Speaking of brakes, they arrived yesterday! Man are those some big calipers...me likey!

Best,
-j

Last edited by Philostang; 01-15-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: More information found
Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I like those 5zigens and the 35 offset looks perfect (to me). Weight is in performance/price range and the matte black would look good on my alloy car (my current steedas are gloss black with silver lip). I'd also save ~3lbs per wheel over my current setup. Thanks for the great pics philo. Another set of wheels to add to my consideration list... awesome thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the wheel tech, Philo. Very useful resource down the road. And you may have just decided what my dedicated track wheels will be, assuming the matte black is available at that time. Car looks great!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Slaya, I do understand the chess match with the wife...for me, it's more like submarine warfare...you have to time the arrival of drop shipments just right...so she's not home when that next box arrives and the questions start.

Anyway, I'm not sure which wheel I'll go with. I'm surprised by how much I ended up liking the 5Zigens, but I know I can get the new Enkei PF01 wheels for $300 more a set. For that I get a wheel that's 4+ lbs lighter. I'm finding that hard to resist...on top of REALLY liking the way they look.

And a guy had these images altered to show what they'd look like in matte black:

I just find that too sexy...

Anyway, the PF01s are not due at my dealer until March, so I have to wait. The slight possibility that they might not clear the Stoptechs has me only very mildly concerned, as the shot from the back looks promising.

We shall see...
Now all I need to do is settle on a street set to clear the brakes and double as the rim for my rain tires.

Sheesh.

-j
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to keep blathering on about the 5Zigens, but I just wanted to alert the interested that I updated the info in post #65. Long story short, they're not out of production, you can still get them (in all avail. colors) for the foreseeable future.

Best,
-j
Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

By all means Philo, keep blathering . Those PF01's remind me very much of the lightweight 18x9.5 TR1 Motorsports on tirerack weighing in at 18lbs each. Those outward facing spokes should clear any bbk. And the matte black chop looks great. My next wheelset will be the size/weight range I want and painted locally if required.

Quick Reply: Wheels for the track