Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Herisy I know.. but I mix/matched ultralite fronts with my competition rears because the comp rears were 3 lbs lighter (per spring) than the ultralites. The ultralite front were 4 lb lighter (per spring!) than the steeda comps. The rear rates weren't that far off and after riding around with both for several weeks swapping in and out I decided the ultralite front with comp rear was the perfect combo. Excellent response front and rear.

Sam can sell you both for experimentation on your own . Seriously though, I was extremely happy with the ultralite f/r over the stiffer front comps. The front comps were very stiff...and very heavy fwiw.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Sam, if you had to ball park it how stiff would you say these Ultralite springs are if they are not the 195lb that Steeda claims them to be? I thought that they were only 5lbs less then the Sports because if you wanted a lighter spring with the same rate the ultralites would be a better option.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 AM
atvrider250r

Default BMR

I have the BMRs and tokicos.I bottom out alot and they make load popping noises when unloaded over dipps in road.They will skare the heck out of you when you jack the front end.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:27 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

I've got Steeda Sports and Koni STR.Ts, bought from Sam. I could not be happier with the improvement. I had been running Pro Kits and OEM shocks. I think most of the improvement is from the Koni's, but there is much less harshness on initial impact with irregularities in the road surface (bumps, small potholes, etc.) so I think the new springs must be helping, too.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DRock
Sam, if you had to ball park it how stiff would you say these Ultralite springs are if they are not the 195lb that Steeda claims them to be? I thought that they were only 5lbs less then the Sports because if you wanted a lighter spring with the same rate the ultralites would be a better option.
I know that that's the prevailing wisdom, but it's not correct.....

Sports are about 10% softer than Ultralites based on the number I have direct from the manufacturer who builds them for Steeda. And having driven on them both (and lots of others I know the rates of) that's about right.

Ultralites are lighter material only. When you lower a car more (and let's face it, we've seen claims that they lower the car the same @ Sport springs too but know that's not the case). You want, NEED more spring rate to support the given mass in the lesser amount of travel.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by atvrider250r
I have the BMRs and tokicos.I bottom out alot and they make load popping noises when unloaded over dipps in road.They will skare the heck out of you when you jack the front end.
Not surprised. Those springs are very, very soft plus low. And the shocks don't have the rebound damping to damp all the stored energy from the compressed spring and bumpstop both on the rebound stroke.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:34 AM
hockeyman8282
1st Gear Member

nice site sam
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Rat GT
2nd Gear Member

I just picked up my new suspension (3 boxes) from Customs (them bas+ards really nailed me) today. Everything arrived in great shape thanks to Sam's packaging. Now I have to wait for the weather to warm up and start working on it. The forecast for this weekend looks promising. Can't wait to see it lowered. Thanks Sam!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about those ultralites but I can testify that the sports with some Koni STR.T's is an extremely sick combo. I like the new look, not to mention the HUGE upgrade in handling. It actually rides softer. I feel the big potholes and bumps a lot more but the smaller holes/bumps you don't notice at all.

I took her out to the track last weekend and was spanking an NSX and a Porsche with a few mods done to it. They also had an Eagle Talon TSI with ~28lbs of boost, full racing slicks, and a HD plate for camber adjustment. It had just been balanced using the scales out at the track and I was keeping up with it. Not to mention an older 5.0 kitted out for the track, stripped down to lighten it and running slicks. Was the same case, I could keep up with it... And I was on some blown street tires. I recently got my Steeda Ultra-lite wrapped in Nitto NT-01 and I took them for a spin on the street... WOW... Can't wait to get back out to the track!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Kbreeze

I'm currently deciding between the ultralites and sports and just curious if anything has changed with the steeda springs or what Sam is saying is still the case, that the sports are actually softer (which would make sense as he points out). I just don't understand, reputable sites like Brenspeed say the ultralites will give you the closest to stock ride quality and even Steeda themselves advertising as if the ultralites offer the best ride quality.

Quick Reply: Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs