Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Q: Difference between Steeda Sport and Ultralite Springs

Old 12-05-2015, 12:46 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Jasongtcs. I did steeda sports and koni sports. Dropped it perfectly. Handling is far better than stock and not too stiff. Steeda makes sports specifically for verts.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RWHEELS
. . . I'm wondering how much of a handling improvement I could see from a more aggressive spring. Plus the rearend sits up too high and I wonder if that hurts the rear handling since my front end is great.
If you don't know for sure that the functioning of the rear suspension is holding you back, then it probably isn't. At least not yet. Don't be influenced by external appearances here, as they can be misleading.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-05-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:26 AM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If you don't know for sure that the functioning of the rear suspension is holding you back, then it probably isn't. At least not yet. Don't be influenced by external appearances here, as they can be misleading.

Norm
Thanks Norm, you coul be right. The feeling that I get when pushing the card hard in corners is that the rear cant keep up with the front. The front of my car will go wherever I point it, I have to push pretty hard to get any understeer , but the rearend doesn't feel as tight and will slide well before the front. My amateur calculation was that having the rear lower might put more weight on the rear tires and lower the center of gravity, but that's just a guess. I'm also condsidering a watts link in the spring so that may take care of that as well.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What are you doing with the throttle during this time? How forcefully (as opposed to gradually/smoothly)?

Norm
Old 12-06-2015, 06:50 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What are you doing with the throttle during this time? How forcefully (as opposed to gradually/smoothly)?

Norm
well I'm far from a pro driver, but I know when it gets out of line because of incorrect driver inputs and when I'm driving well and gradual with the throttle especially in long sweeping corners the rear just feels like its rolling ove,r or on the edge of adhesion. I do have my sway bars set to full soft on rear and full stiff on front which seems to be the best setting so far, when I get more aggressive with the rear setting it wants to break loose. Then again, I'm still learning my way around performance suspension, so I'm always curious what an expert would say if they drove it and looked at the settings, I could be way off
Old 12-06-2015, 08:55 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Jasongtcs. I did steeda sports and koni sports. Dropped it perfectly. Handling is far better than stock and not too stiff. Steeda makes sports specifically for verts.
We appreciate the feedback!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Glad to see people still talking about the S197. Hurray!!! I'm thinking of removing 98 lbs off the front of my car:

Battery in Rear: -35lbs
BMR K-member, front LCAs, radiator support: -39lbs
(a arm support bar, 4 point brace replaced) -0 lbs
Lighter 14" StopTech Rotors(stock weight type) -12lbs
Race type front bumper support -12lbs

Total -98lbs (Brings front back to stock weight.)

Lighter Enkei Wheels -18lbs Rotating mass
Carbon Fiber Hood(Stock replica) -15lbs

Total -131lbs (33lbs below stock front weight)

Without a spare tire & kit, and adding my spare fill kit, the rear of my car lands at being only 15lbs heavier than it's original stock weight with the -98lb weight loss plan. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 12-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.