Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which is the best adjustable PH bar and brace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:27 AM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Default Which is the best adjustable PH bar and brace?

Not sure which PH bar and brace to get, what's the best and why?

Thanks guys, have a nice weekend.

Dave
Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

There are sooo many choices, right? It's crazy how many different companies make parts for these cars. They ALL perform basically the same function so you can't go wrong. The only thing you must take into consideration is whether you need adjustability (car is lowered) or want/need better articulation, either via rod-ends or some higher-tech solution such as UMI's roto-joint or Spohn's del-sphere. I went with Spohn's del-sphere adjustable panhard and LCA's with the roller spheres on the axle-side and quiet poly bushings on the chassis-side. I had double rod-end components on the rear of my car and all of them produced more noise than I'm comfortable with. The rod-ends and/or tech end COMBO (on axle side) are what I've found to be suitable for my needs.

UMI (what Sam Strano sells) also makes a nice looking "roto-joint" combo panhard that would be comparable to the Spohn del-sphere that I'm running. Basically anything you purchase will work fine..after all, it's just a bar.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I don't know about "best", but I am a huge fan of the BMR adjustable pan-hard bar with the poly bushings at both ends...I believe it's part # PHR006. The adjustment is in a very convenient location that makes centering the rear under the car easy.

scroll down about half way..
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangSUSPENSION.htm
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
JimC

"Best" is a relative term - "best" for what? It will all depend upon what you are looking for, what mods you have done or planned, how you drive your car, etc. There is no one "best" out there of anything. The "best" is the one that fits your needs appropriately, which may be very different from my needs.

Study up the differences and then make an informed decision as to which is the "best" one for your application.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
"Best" is a relative term - "best" for what? It will all depend upon what you are looking for, what mods you have done or planned, how you drive your car, etc. There is no one "best" out there of anything. The "best" is the one that fits your needs appropriately, which may be very different from my needs.

Study up the differences and then make an informed decision as to which is the "best" one for your application.

I'm asking which you think is best and why, totally understand the relative term standpoint. And studying up the differences is of course helpful and a given for first steps, but hearing from real-world experiences of peers is at times even more valuable if not at least equal in importance. Sometimes products look great on paper, but then going through real usage they either prove out or disappoint.

I have the FR3 suspension pack, BMR subframe bracing, 20"x11" rear wheels and am running 295's in the rear. I want to correct and control the rear end position after lowering. Will just be using the car on street and an occasional auto-x. I really don't need overkill, and the cost of PH bars is low, so I'm just looking for basic opinions of what others have found satisfying. If I were building another race car, I'd research it to the nth degree. For street, there are so many variables, and a street car is inherently such a huge batch of compromises, the minute differences in PH bar performance would be barely noticeable if at all. But overall quality, mounting considerations, adjustability and mechanism, end type and materials, etc are all good things to hear from car buddies about I think.

I guess my biggest priorities for this use would be: quality product without problems, addressing geometry well, stability, positioning successfully without noise or creating other problems. Additionally, I'd love opinions on bushings (and which ones) VS spherical ball ends.

Last edited by Super D; 02-21-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

@Rubrignitz and @05 Mustang, thanks guys, really appreciate your opinions on this.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

I have the BMR on my car, but I would also consider the Sphon chrome-moly bar with the combo Del-sphere and poly bushing. The Del-sphere bushing allows some articulation in response to any twisting forces applied to the bar.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:14 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

im running the UMI on car adjustable. works great for me, on car adjustability made centering the rear end a sinch too.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Super D
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by peetiewonder
im running the UMI on car adjustable. works great for me, on car adjustability made centering the rear end a sinch too.
Talked to Sam Strano and ordered the UMI adjustable w/roto ends, just came to my front door today.