Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

possible axle leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default possible axle leak?

Not sure this is the section to address this issue, but here it goes.

Had a recent track day this weekend that ran counter clock wise. really pushed the steed to some record times for me (much improved lines), anyhow i was swapping my track wheels to my DD's and noticed a lot of oil splattered on my right exhaust and lower control arms. Searched to source and noticed it coming from a valve (?) atop of the axle on the passenger side of the housing. i always noticed a little spillage their, but didn't think much of this. the valve has a metal cap atop that spins freely, but i did not want to remove it yet for the sake of getting some advice 1st.

anyone experience this? car is an 08' and is really only used for track days.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

That is the vent that on top of the axle!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

Dont know for sure, Sounds like a breather for axle. Looked in Haynes manual but it dont say ####!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

makes sense that it is a vent, but how could i prevent so much oil from leaking when hit the high G's in the corners and sweepers? i am really pushing this car to real extremes, chasing Vettes and 911's all day long. i assume i will need to put some gear oil in real soon as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

That is very typical, a combination of the cornering G's and gear lube foaming.

Here is a thread on c-c.com discussing it. If you're not a member you can't see the pictures, so here are two posts of mine.

Originally Posted by me

I got tired of the underside of my Mustang being a greasy, smelly mess after track days, so I tried the Gatorade bottle fix. The only place I could find on the '07 was to mount it horizontally on the panhard bar brace.

After one day at TWS (yesterday) I found this:

Shelby is now selling the GT500KR Axle Reservoir for S197 Mustangs. At $129, it's expensive but might be an option for those of us who cannot fabricate.

Here is a picture of the reservoir on the car. As I found out, there is not a lot of room under there and this looks like a nice, clean install:

Most of the other solutions involve a catch can up in the trunk.

-Wayne
-'07 Mustang NASA TTC
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

Good post!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Houston alot that is exactly what i wanted and needed to see. i thought i had a major problem.

Two more questions, before i go rigging my own catch can, is the cap to the valve a pry off or screw off? and is there a filler hole on the top side of the rear end (unlike my F150)?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I agree with Houston - everyone will experience this once you start pushing the car hard enough with sticky tires. There is a fill plug on the diff. No drain plug though.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

just so that i understand everything clearly, cause i just read a 2page thread about this on the link Houston left. the "catch" can is there really just to prevent the mess, the oil will flow back into the axle? or does it stay in the can and is later poured back into the axle? sorry guys this is my 1st solid axle car and is kinda new to me i am good with fabrication and all but just need to completely understand the principle behind the mod to make sure i do it right!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dvs4.6
just so that i understand everything clearly, cause i just read a 2page thread about this on the link Houston left. the "catch" can is there really just to prevent the mess, the oil will flow back into the axle? or does it stay in the can and is later poured back into the axle? sorry guys this is my 1st solid axle car and is kinda new to me i am good with fabrication and all but just need to completely understand the principle behind the mod to make sure i do it right!
The gear lube gets hot and starts foaming out of the vent. So if you attach the line to the bottom of the catch can it will drain back into the axle when it cools.

Since my Gatorade bottle is mounted horizontally, it cannot drain back into the axle.

I removed the axle vent and popped off the spring loaded cap. I then filed it to a "barb" shape so that a circle clamp will hold a fuel line on it. You would attach the other end to a catch can, there are a lot available.

Although when I tried to find a picture of the axle vent I found this post:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s....php?p=1517665

It seems there is a TSB and a replacement vent p/n AR3Z-4A058-B.

I might have to look into that, to get rid of my Gatorade bottle.

-Wayne
-'07 Mustang NASA TTC

Quick Reply: possible axle leak?