Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Q: Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Q: Panhard Bar

I have the UMI 1055 Adjustable. My car, in the rear, is leaning to the drivers side (I assume this is because I lowered it and adjusted my new panhard to the length of the old panhard). From the looks of it, the panhard bar is what corrects that, right? So I should be tightening it to pull down on the passengers side of the car since the passenger side is where it connects to the body and the drivers side is where it connects to the frame, right?

Am I way off or does my semi-engineer intellect serve me well?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

The panhard bar centers the wheels to the rear end. If your car is leaning then it's probably the springs. Did you clock the springs properly when you installed them?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Don't know what ya mean by clocking the springs. The rear springs just dropped out when I lowered the rear end and the new ones slid right in. I didn't see anything that could be adjusted for the rear springs... When you look at it from the front it's level, or at least much more level than the rear. When you look at it from the back it leans to the left.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 02-24-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

Clocking the springs means that the pigtails at the bottom of the springs must all be pointing in the same direction, that is, toward the driver side. If the pigtails are pointing in different directions each spring will respond differently to the weight of the car.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

So do they need to be pointing in a particular direction or just both in the same direction? Anyone else able to chime in on this and verify that's what my problem is?

I am going to be putting her up on the rack tomorrow so I wanna figure this out by then so I can fix it at the same time I do an oil change/brake check.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 02-25-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Depends what rear springs u have too. If the coil is tighter wound on 1 end they have to be installed a particular way. Tight wound coil going up into the body, loose wound coil toward axle. If the coil looks the same from top to bottom then what I said doesn't matter.

Look at taco bills write up?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html
Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

They are Steeda Sports so the rears aren't wound tighter on one end than the other.

I really think it is the panhard bar from looking at it though. The way the panhard connects is to the axle on the left side and to the bottom of the frame on the right side (when looking at the car from the rear). So... Being that I lowered it, and therefore would need to shorten the length of the panhard (or so my engineering sense tells me), wouldn't me adjusting the new panhard to the length of the stock panhard be effectively pushing the frame up on the right side and have the left side sit like it should because it is connected to the axle and not the frame?

I really don't see how having the springs rotated wrong could cause such a tilt that is very visible when stepping back from the car. Not that I am disagreeing, I don't really have any information to say otherwise, just that when I think about it, it really doesn't make sense. The weight of the car should be pressing on the springs in such a way that the ride height shouldn't be off, now the way the springs transfer that weight to the axle is another thing. The part that is flat on either end should bear the most weight technically as it makes contact with the rubber stops before the rest of the spring does when applying weight.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

there is no vertical force on the pan hard bar if its installed correctly. It basically floats up and down when the suspension travels. only side to side force(which keeps the axle in place).

is one spring upside down? one spring a stock one?

is the axle centered, or close to being centered?

the only thing i can see is that you installed the pan hard bar in the longest setting possible. And its pushing the axle so far to the drivers side that the axle cant move anymore, and therefore pushing the body up on the passengers side. When you install an adjustable bar you should line it up side to side with the stock bar. So you can get it close to the correct length, then make the final adjustment under the car.

jack the car up, and take a bunch of pics, then post them up. That will help a lot.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
there is no vertical force on the pan hard bar if its installed correctly. It basically floats up and down when the suspension travels. only side to side force(which keeps the axle in place).

is one spring upside down? one spring a stock one?

is the axle centered, or close to being centered?

the only thing i can see is that you installed the pan hard bar in the longest setting possible. And its pushing the axle so far to the drivers side that the axle cant move anymore, and therefore pushing the body up on the passengers side. When you install an adjustable bar you should line it up side to side with the stock bar. So you can get it close to the correct length, then make the final adjustment under the car.

jack the car up, and take a bunch of pics, then post them up. That will help a lot.
That's exactly what I think the problem is. The panhard is too long and the horizontal movement has reached it's limit. I did adjust the new panhard to the length of the old panhard before I put it on the car, didn't adjust it after that. Sounds like I need to go over everything again. Might put her on the rack sometime tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:15 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gmoran1469
I did adjust the new panhard to the length of the old panhard before I put it on the car, didn't adjust it after that.
I'm curious as to why you didn't adjust it shorter? If the car wasn't lowered and you were just upgrading to a stiffer/better PHB that would make sense.

I'm all new to this, so don't take this as a dig, I'm just trying to learn.

Quick Reply: Q: Panhard Bar