Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering my car

I want to lower my car so I am going to get some lowering springs, but I see that when most people do that they also get new shocks and struts. I'm just wondering if this is necessary. I think my car handles ok and if I just got springs I could spend $200-$300 instead of $800-$1,000.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM
VA Raptor

It is usually recommend to change everything out since if you change springs only the stock shocks and struts are not setup for the new spring rate.

If your main goal is to just get the car lowered to improve the appearance than just springs will likely serve you well. If, however, you might take it to an auto-cross or two and maybe some 1/4 runs than I'd recommend changing out the shocks and struts while you're at it.

For a complte package you won't find many that will disagree that the Steeda springs and the Koni STR.T's are a great combo for our cars. They're not going to be too hard on the wallet either.

Koni STR.T's with Steeda Sport Springs
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

I would absolutely upgrade the shocks as well. The shocks will not be matched properly to the new spring rates, and stock shocks are not made to run at a lowered height, meaning the travel distance on the shock is now shorter, and running lower on the shock body. This causes the shocks to blow prematurely. Also usually expect a bouncier ride when doing just the springs because the shock is not matched properly.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:54 PM
BAKnBLK2010
1st Gear Member

Roush makes 1inch drop front springs ans 1.5 inch drop rear springs for our cars that do not require changing the shocks or struts. It actually says it is not recommended to change the struts or shocks with this kit. $240.00 on their website. Check it out.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Suspension is trial and error. You can definatley do good by just swapping out the springs alone and NEVER have to do struts and shocks at the same time.

Try them out and see what you like.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I bought all my stuff through Sam Strano and it cost me $648 dollars for Steeda Sport Springs and Koni StrT struts / shocks, In addition i upgraded to 2010 SVT Strut mounts for another $80. So all the prices are just parts. Car rides great and handles great. Several others here have done the same set-up and are pleased with the results as well
Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Steeda sport springs are linear rate (the spring stays the same rate as its compressed) and lower about 1" in front and 1.25" in back. The Steeda front spring rate is higher than stock, but the rear rate is the same as stock. You could probably get by temporarily and get decent ride quality with stock shocks and Steeda sports. It would not be ideal, but it would be ok for a while.

Don't get progressive rate springs (spring rate changes as spring is compressed) without changing shocks as these will not get along at all with the stock shocks and will leave you with a harsh and bouncy ride. H&R, Vogtland, and Eibach are companies that make progressive mustang springs.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I am actually looking at the Koni/steeda package from strano. Price isn't bad at all I will be pulling th trigger real soon. Does anyone have a ballpark idea what installation will run? Also, I am assuming the car will need a 4 wheel alignment after the instal.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 AM
mjscott2

If you care about the ride, you'll definitely want to get matched springs/struts. If you don't your car will ride like mine. :-)

Problem is that lowered springs have to have a higher spring rate to avoid bottoming out on bumps. This requires a higher damping rate on the shocks and struts. Use of stock shocks/struts with lowering springs on the street will result in either bottoming out in bumps or at least a very bumpy ride as the springs reach their maximum compression quickly.

I do all my own installs, so don't know how much you'll pay. It's easy to do this swap - you don't even need a spring compressor.

You'll need a front wheel alignment. With a solid axle rear drive car, a 4-wheel isn't needed IMO.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:15 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

I ordered the Koni STR Ts and the steeda sport spings from Strano, they had a good package deal going on. I also got the adjustable PHB. Now I just need to figure out if I need to replce the strut mounts. I can't do the install myself because I'm in Afghanistan so I am going to have my wife take it in for the install.

Quick Reply: Lowering my car