Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Default Road Racing

Ok guys, I'm starting my foray into road racing. Going to start taking my ride to Summit Point and also doing some autocross events with SCCA in the DC area. Car is getting supercharged (finished tomorrow, finally!) so I have the "ooompf". But I want my car hugging corners, you know? I think I've done a decent job so far: set of goodyear ZR F1's, Roush springs, Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda G-Trac Bar, BMR adjustable panhard bar. The only thing I can think of now is a set of shocks/struts. Any ideas? The object is not to break the bank with future mods. I love how she handles now, but getting out there on the course is a whole 'nutha animal. Maybe upgraded sway bars? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Either Koni Sports or Tokico D-Specs.

Check out Sam Strano's website

Have you done any braking system upgrades?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Oh man...completely forgot about brakes. Heard people burn through pads fast. What should I be looking at?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I'm using Cobalt Friction XR2 on the front and XR4 in back. My goal is to have a race pad that I don't have to change at the track. The XR2s have an effective heat range of 100-1600°F and the XR4s have an effective heat range of 50-1200°F. They work great at the low heat range, squeal less than Hawk HP+ but dust like a Mo Fo! They are also very expensive. On track, they stop like nobody's business and are very consistent but need cooling (don't like it if I don't open my ducts even on cool/cold days). My car is primarily a track toy and I don't drive it much other than to and from the track. So far, I have one dry and one wet day at Calabogie, a dry day at Gingerman and about 3000 street miles and they are about half way gone. So far, I'm pretty happy with their all around performance.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

It really depends on how hard you are using them.

As a minimum upgrade to DOT 4 fluid and for pads check out some of the recent threads in this forum. Do a search on Motul and Carbotech
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

go do a track day first, find out what you want to change. then itll help out the guru's with their advice on what to change.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Summit Point Shenandoah, May 15-16, TrackDaze.com. I'll be there driving a black C5 Vette. Come out and play!

IMO your most important steps in getting on track are as far as the car is concerned:
- Brakes - you have to upgrade them. Its a 3600 pound car, thats a lot of weight to stop. As mentioned - DOT4 fluid, track pads at the bare minimum. With even a little experience and the increase in speed that goes with it you will need brake cooling ducts and SS lines.
- Something to hold you in the seat, especially if you have leather. The outside of your knees will be raw by the end of two days from bracing yourself thru corners. You can get a CG Lock that locks the seat belt in place, it will help. You can also get some of that soft rubber matting you line the drawers of tool chests with and sit on it. You can also do the old trick of of moving the seat back and then cinching the belt. Then move the seat forward until its so tight you can't stand it.
- Tires - I don't know how good those GYs are on track but they are just a street tire. Good for learning, lots of squealing feedback, but slow.
- Dampers - as mentioned, Koni or D-Spec adjustables.
- Don't change your sway bars yet. Stock the car has understeer built in. You want this. It is your friend. It will save your pretty car from embarassing fender rash. It takes a whole lot of experience to drive a tail happy car with confidence and precision.
- As mentioned - refrain from further modding until you have a feel for it. You will learn much more about the right mods for you from experience and from meeting folks at the track than you will here on the forum.

It sounds like you haven't driven at high speed on a track before? If not, then a few other things:
- Seat time is by far your best mod. Experience, practice and good instruction will make you way faster and better than any amount of money spent on the car could.
- Attitude is very important. You will be assigned an instructor to ride in the car with you. Think of his perspective. He is climbing into a nearly 2 ton, high horsepower land missle with a unknown driver and navigating around a twisty track at very high speed. Thats daunting and scary. Listen and do what he says and he will keep you safe and make you a better driver.
- Prepare to be hooked. It is one heck of a lot of fun.

Look me up sometime. I generally go to about 15 track events a year and occasionally hit an AX or two.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

as said trust your instructor! yes he is human, but he knows what hes talking about. he wont make your or even let you do anything stupid. argonaut you should come down to vir sometime. study up to, learn track talk, learn whats what. it will help you out even more, that and itll impress your instructor. another thing i learned that really helped is talk to your instructor, not the point of it being a distraction, but talk abuot what your doing, how the cars responding etc etc.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Guys, awesome. Basically, get my happy butt out there, learn from the instructors, get a feel for my car, learn how to navigate through turns. After that, then decide what I need to do.

Awesome advice, thanks a bunch!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
argonaut you should come down to vir sometime.
I've been there 4 times. Simply the best track on the East Coast. I'm thinking seriously about heading down there for the Mazda Drivers event mid June on the "Grand Course".

Quick Reply: Road Racing