Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

COUPLE OF NOOB SUSPENSION QUESTIONS

Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Default COUPLE OF NOOB SUSPENSION QUESTIONS

First, I have roush stage2 lowering springs on the front and back with the stock shocks.
Second, i know nothing about suspensions.
1. Had the front end alignment checked the other day, drivers side camber was-1.6, specs called for -1.5. tech said the only way to correct was to add camber kits, the question is do I need to do both sides or can i just do the one side. also what is a good set that i can use, they quoted me $129.00 per side installed.
2. Also said the the drivers side rear shock was leaking, I really like the ride so should i stay with the stock shocks or is there an after market shock that is better but will give me the same ride as i have now.
Neither situation is critical just trying to get my ducks in a row before i do anything.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

1. You can go the cheap route and get some camber bolts ($40) that will allow you to get your alignment within spec.

http://www.brenspeed.com/fc001.html

I saw another place that had them for $20 I think but I don't remember where.

The more expensive and "proper" route is the caster/camber plates (aka heavy duty strut mounts) for $269.99.

http://www.brenspeed.com/555-8120.html

These are heavy duty and will not fail like the one-time use OEM strut mounts. I tried to go the cheap route and re-use the OEM strut mounts; I should have put the HD mounts on when I got my car lowered. There are cheaper versions from other manufacturers ($200ish).

2. You can find some take-off shocks pretty easily for cheap.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/ford-16.aspx

The above shocks are from a convertible (gives you an idea of price) but there are plenty of users on this forum that have some lightly-used rear shocks they would probably sell you for cheap, including me.

But we probably wouldn't recommend it. Most likely everyone on here would recommend upgrading all your shocks and struts to one of the following:

Koni STR.T (non-adjustable) $369

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

Koni Yellow (adjustable) $629

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=64&ModelID=5

Tockico D-Spec (adjustable) $539

http://www.brenspeed.com/dsp12.html

Tokico HP (non-adjustable) $339

Not many people would recommned them but there have been a handful of users on here that have bought them and have liked them well enough.

http://www.brenspeed.com/05hptokico.html

i favor brenspeed because they are near my hometown. sam strano of strano parts is one of the suspension gurus here. both are forum sponsors and both will give you awesome service. there are plenty of other purchase options, though, up to you.

Last edited by timothyrw; 06-29-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:10 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I had the tokico hp's and they did not ride well at all with eibachs. The Koni yellow I have now are much much better ride wise with the steeda sport springs, very near stock ride. I think the koni strt dampers are supposed to be like the yellows on full soft, which is where i drive them on the street. i would bet you could get the strt shocks fro about the same as new stock shocks. Whatever you do you will need new shock mounts or camber plates. I got the J&M ones from American muscle for $209 before the forum discount.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Is it possible that the reason the shock is leaking is because it wasn't meant for the higher rates of the lowering springs? I don't know, but with that said, I will definitely upgrade to aftermarket struts and shocks when I lower mine.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Also, unless you drive really hard, I think you'll be fine with just camber bolts. My friend has an 05 with Eibach Sportlines and the camber bolts have worked well for him thusfar.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The comment above about camber bolts being OK if you don't drive hard is important.

If you are going to push the car hard on the track or street then camber bolts are not the way to go and you should get some sort of adjustable upper strut mount.

If you are going to drive really hard then you should consider upgrading your 2007 spindle to strut bolts to the fine thread ones used on later production years.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

I don't think it is the different spring rate that causes them to leak but the shorter "length" of the spring. Someone else can give the technical terms.

Which brings up the point of do you want to fix it for the time being cheaply or do you want to fix it so it will last?

He can get camber bolts ($20) and a take-off rear shock ($20 probably) and 1 and 2 are solved. But the struts and shocks will most likely fail later down the line. So, up to him if he wants to spend a few hundred on new dampers.

Originally Posted by parchisi
Is it possible that the reason the shock is leaking is because it wasn't meant for the higher rates of the lowering springs? I don't know, but with that said, I will definitely upgrade to aftermarket struts and shocks when I lower mine.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

not sure that's a compliment... i hated the stock ride, hence the hundreds spent on mods!

Originally Posted by ShaneM
The Koni yellow I have now are much much better ride wise with the steeda sport springs, very near stock ride.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I grabbed some GT500 upper mounts for $55 on eBay, and got new camber bolts for $25.

The install of both is something you can easily do yourself without paying out the *** for the shop to do it. Go ahead and change out your front struts when you put new camber bolts in, and the rear shocks are a joke.

no idea about what shocks/struts you should run. i actually like the factory ride. guess I'm weird
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

wow, all of that before my first cup of coffee, I do not go to the track or street race, however I do occasionally like to tear up some twisties on the back roads. I do not have a problem with the ride that i have now, actually just took a 2500 mile road trip and it was great. I wouldn't say I want to go the cheap route but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on suspension that I don't really need. I really like the way she sits and rides, I do understand what every body is saying about the stock shocks and struts not lasting as long, tho I have gotten about 65000 on the stock componets and only one shock is going bad.
I really do appreciate everybody's comments and will consider every thing in this thread before going forward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COUPLE OF NOOB SUSPENSION QUESTIONS