Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Comp Spring and D-Spec Install on 2011

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Default Steeda Comp Spring and D-Spec Install on 2011

Well, got mostly finished installing my Steeda Comp springs with Tokico D-Spec struts/shocks, with Maximum Motorsport CC plates. Maximum Motorsports said that their CC plates would work on the 2011 as long as you used a corresponding 2005-2010 set of struts.

Turns out this is mostly true except that you need to use 2005 style upper spring isolators. The 2011 rubber spring isolators are not flat on top like the 2005 ones are. The local dealer had only 1 in stock, and I had to buy the entire strut mount for $45 x2, which was an almost $100 purchase. I suppose I could have perused the local salvage yards, but its too damn hot out and I'm impatient. So I'll be be getting that second isolator tomorrow and it should be complete.

Otherwise, everything else went in fine. Will post up some pictures when its complete
Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Tis finished and I brain farted and forgot to measure the fender gap before, but it appears the front lowered very little, if at all. The rear looks like the expected 1.25" drop but I can still fit a fist in the fender gap in front. I'm wondering if the useage of the earlier model, thicker spring isolators is the culprit? I know that not a whole lot of people have experience lowering the 2011's yet, but can anybody shed some light?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Tis finished and I brain farted and forgot to measure the fender gap before, but it appears the front lowered very little, if at all. The rear looks like the expected 1.25" drop but I can still fit a fist in the fender gap in front. I'm wondering if the useage of the earlier model, thicker spring isolators is the culprit? I know that not a whole lot of people have experience lowering the 2011's yet, but can anybody shed some light?
Guess we are on the leading edge eh? I used the Steeda sport springs, but stuck with the stock strut mount/spring isolator/front struts when the tech couldn't fit the Tokicos. Looks like a normal drop to me, so could be the set-up you are using. BTW, Eibach will be releasing a 2011 specific spring shortly which tells me something. Also, Steeda is working on new CC plates for the 5.0, but won't be out for a while.

Frustrating isn't it?

Did you mount smaller diameter tires at the same time? This could also account for the gap.

Cheers.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Ahhh, comps always tend to ride a bit high in the front on non-GT500 cars... That's not a 2011 vs. 2010 thing.

I have an '11, been through these things. There are little details that matter, and that not everyone can clue you in on....
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. Good to know that the higher front is only the nature of the springs. I expect the springs to still settle some as time goes on.

Yeah, I went from the stock machined 19's to 18x9 wheels with 275/35 tires, but I had those wheels/tires for a week before lowering so I am aware of the approximate amount of drop compared to stock.

As far as ride quality and handling, I am more than impressed. Almost no squat and dive on acceleration and braking, minimal body roll, and the ride suffered very little compared to stock. Feels like a whole new, new car.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Ahhh, comps always tend to ride a bit high in the front on non-GT500 cars... That's not a 2011 vs. 2010 thing.

I have an '11, been through these things. There are little details that matter, and that not everyone can clue you in on....
Aha!!

There you go parchisi. I guess that's why my drop with the Sports looks normal in comparison. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cheers.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I am also running Steeda Comp springs, with an SC, and they seemed to "settle" after a few days.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I ran Comps for awhile and the front did settle but even once settled rode 1/4'' higher in the front than rear. Not sure why... I looked into the upper spring mounts after hearing they may be different between 05-07 model years but the parts guy at Ford said they were exact same part number so I gave up trying to figure out why they sat high. I thought maybe the CC plates had something to do with it but with everything made by Steeda I ruled that out as well.

I now run steeda ultralite fronts and Roush rears which give the car a perfect (IMO) 1/4'' rake and keeps the rear supple over the harsh roads I'm forced to drive on. I'm now looking at KW coilovers after swapping springs in and out of the car...should have gone with coilovers from the start.

How do you like the Dunlop Star-Specs? I think those will go up front when my nitto nt05's wear out. The nt05's are slipperier than **** in the rain.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

If you decide on coil-overs, I sell KW (and others). Should be able to work good pricing for you guys.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm going coilovers very soon...as soon as I determine they will swap to the 11'/5.0 I plan to purchase next year. From what I'm hearing/reading they appear to transfer over to the new cars w/o issue.

I'm tired of one side of the car being higher/lower than the other with basic spring setup. I'm ready to corner weight the car, along with perfect stance and be done with it!! And I'll defintely call you when I'm ready to purchase, Sam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steeda Comp Spring and D-Spec Install on 2011