Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Which Shocks Koni Yellow or D-specs???

Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
dheller1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Including me, you have 3 folks out of 9 responses that have had both and preferred the Koni's. There is another guy who lurks here would makes 4. D-specs aren't terrible, and if you haven't compared you'd think they are fine.

Simply put, it's pretty much a landslide when counting votes from folks who've had both.
That said, I have both in stock.
Well I got a set of konis local at a good price though the directions were kind of tore up :-(

There are two small plastic pieces that look like a large white washers in the front strut box where do they go?

Do I use my factory jounce bumper?

I also notice the lower perch is tigher so I can't use the factory spring perch isolators?

Replies for the impaired (me) would be very helpful...
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

A quality retailer would have offered complete parts and the advice to install/setup your car. I support vendors from this website.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 AM
dheller1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kobie
A quality retailer would have offered complete parts and the advice to install/setup your car. I support vendors from this website.
I am asking for advice from members not half *** comments and BS.

Look at the time I posted this! The retailer was closed and I was putting them together at the time!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Kobie's comment was meant to address that had you gotten them from, say me (since you were okay taking the time to pick my brain) that you'd have also gotten the answers to all your questions.

Koni instructions are known to suck, nothing new there. Having a reliable source, and one who actually drives your kind of car, is a handy thing to have. I'm sorry I can't help you and give out further setup information. Dell won't support HP issues and I can't help support product other companies sell.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
dheller1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Kobie's comment was meant to address that had you gotten them from, say me (since you were okay taking the time to pick my brain) that you'd have also gotten the answers to all your questions.

Koni instructions are known to suck, nothing new there. Having a reliable source, and one who actually drives your kind of car, is a handy thing to have. I'm sorry I can't help you and give out further setup information. Dell won't support HP issues and I can't help support product other companies sell.
I called you back Friday and sent you an email Sam, nobody get back with me and a local person had them in stock so I took that route.

I was looking for an answer last night when I was putting the stuff togther.

Well I have Koni and bought them from Koni....
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

You serioulsy called a vendor, bough from another vendor but then called back the first vendor for advice on the products you bought from someone else? What ***** you have man!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM
dheller1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
You serioulsy called a vendor, bough from another vendor but then called back the first vendor for advice on the products you bought from someone else? What ***** you have man!

No I did not call the first vendor back that is why I posted on a public forum for advice...

The first vendor left for the day so I emailed my request, I have not heard anything back so I purchased them local because I needed them Tuesday to put my car back together.

I would have purchased from the vendor but I needed them shipped Friday.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Excuse my interruption of the bickering here but something I would LOVE to know regarding the D-Specs vs Koni argument is: Do the Koni's have the same 'skipping' issue the D-specs seem to have? No matter what setting I use on the d-specs they skip over close cropped bumps in the road...to the point of vibrating the car on very close cropped irregularities. Other than that I'm pretty happy with them.

I've asked a few folks but no one has been able to give me an emphatic YES, the damping is better on the Konis and they don't skip like the d-specs do. Forgive me if I'm incorrect in this assumption but that is the damping (or is it rebound?) characterics of the dampers and the complaint I have with my d-specs.

If the Koni's are better in this regard I would buy a set immediately (are you listening Sam?).
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Koni's are more settled than D-specs at any sort of good rebound damping position because Koni's only adjust rebound. D-specs adjust both compression and rebound at the same time. Wanting more rebound damping (the setting that gives the locked down and quicker responding feel) does not mean you want more compression damping. But with D-specs you get it whether you want it or not.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dheller1
I called you back Friday and sent you an email Sam, nobody get back with me and a local person had them in stock so I took that route.

I was looking for an answer last night when I was putting the stuff togther.

Well I have Koni and bought them from Koni....

Did you leave me a message? I had 450 emails the morning. Ranging from questions, to spam, to order notifications. I know everyone thinks this is an e-mail world, but it's always best to call. Which goes back to you leaving a message. I had no message from anyone I didn't return.

I am one person, running what was a family business. I can only do so much immediately. If you don't leave a message, I can't return the call. And fwiw, you can also order online. And being you aren't in PA, there is no sales tax either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Shocks Koni Yellow or D-specs???