Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Squeaking noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Question Squeaking noise from rear

What's up guys? I have a squeak coming from the rear seemingly only when my drivetrain is under a load, going over bumps. Is anyone else experiencing this or had this in the past? I've searched around for TSBs and the only noise-related thing that comes up asks me to measure the diameter of the front control arm ball joint stud. So I am thinking that it's not related. Any comments or thoughts are welcome. My next step is going to be taking it to the dealer bc it's under still under base war. But I've been avoiding taking it
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Man! 81 views and no replies? Looks like I'll be heading to the dealer to see what they say
Old 08-30-2010, 02:23 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

i think you need to be more specific about the noise.. it may have something to do with your exhaust.. it usually does.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Go push down on your rear bumper to bounce your car up and down (make sure it's unlocked so you don't set the alarm off). My original thought is a bad rear shock. You will be able to hear it by bouncing on the passenger or drivers side of the rear bumper if its the shock. Do it with the trunk open so you will be able to hear the noise if its coming from the top of the shocks. If you don't hear any noise, come back and we'll try again.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Drewsky, it's a faint chirp or sqeak when I'm accelerating over bumps. Without any NVH equipment in my toolbox at home, it's hard to get specific. Seems like it's coming from the driver's side, but noise can travel away from the trouble area and my head is at the driver's side window lol.

Jahudso2, Thanks for the idea. When I get a free moment at work I'll take a walk up to my parking lot and give it a shot. I'll bring my buddy to bounce to I can have my head down checking for the problem. But I'm not convinced that it's going to replicate without a load on the drivetrain. I hit bumps while in Neutal or with the clutch disengaged a lot and the noise doesn't happen. This seems like a good place to start and I appreciate the suggestion. I'll keep you updated later in the day and let you know what I find
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

OK, so I had my head peeking under the car as my buddy bounced on the rear bumper. All quiet just as I had suspected.

On a side note, I noticed a decent amount of rust growing on my Flowmaster Axleback. Looks like I'll be investing in some louder stainless mufflers soon enough
Old 08-31-2010, 07:34 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Go push down on your rear bumper to bounce your car up and down (make sure it's unlocked so you don't set the alarm off). My original thought is a bad rear shock. You will be able to hear it by bouncing on the passenger or drivers side of the rear bumper if its the shock. Do it with the trunk open so you will be able to hear the noise if its coming from the top of the shocks. If you don't hear any noise, come back and we'll try again.
+1. However, when I had the same problem and did this to test, a lot of times I would hear a louder breathing noise as well as little bit of squeeking.

Marsh, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I was getting the same squeeking you're getting under the same conditions as stated. So, you might want to do a visual inspection of the shocks, too. I found out one of mine was bad for sure because it was coated in oil. The seal busted, so that it why I was hearing "loud breathing", too.

Gave me the opportunity I needed to get my Tokicos.

Got new Tokicos, installed them, squeeking went away, and now I'm having a blast tuning them everyday under various conditions.

Last edited by moochman4life; 08-31-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added on...and corrected grammar.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Oh, you might not be able to tell right away if it's coated because the stock shock is black, and any dirt or dust is going to layer it.

You're just going to have to get your hands dirty.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:58 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

go sit in your car with the vehicle off. push the clutch in and release it a couple of times. see if you have a squeaky clutch pedal.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 AM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

It's funny that you mention the clutch pedal squeaking, because I have noticed that. More noticable within my first mile or so on real hot days it seems like. Is that something you've dealt with jahudso2?

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from rear