Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upper Strut Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
The advice I've received from Steeda in 06' with my car, since it is lowered just 1", was that on the street, the stock camber with a 1" drop should be fine, and it is not critical to have more negative camber. Anyone?? Thanks, Erik
Amount of camber you want to have depends on what you want to do with the car. Stock camber or tiny bit more is enough for the street. The camber will go more negative after 1" lowering but should be within the 'street' limits.

Anyway, you should have the alignment checked after any lowering.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
The advice I've received from Steeda in 06' with my car, since it is lowered just 1", was that on the street, the stock camber with a 1" drop should be fine, and it is not critical to have more negative camber. Anyone?? Thanks, Erik
I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "fine" for every situation, because whether it is OK or not depends on what the camber was before lowering and on how hard and frequently the car is asked to take corners with more "enthusiasm" than average.

Figure on camber going about 0.5° more negative per inch that the front is lowered. So if you're a relatively mild driver when it comes to taking corners and the car started out at -1.1°, 1" of lowering probably will require that camber be reset (the factory "preferred" setting is -0.75°, although there are tolerances up to ±0.75° from there).

Just as there are a few people successfully running more than -1.5° in daily driving use, there are people and driving situations where even -0.75° might be too much (e.g., car is straight line weekend toy only, or for a driver who is very cautious about cornering but frequently uses the brakes very hard).

Bottom line is that once you even think about having to reset camber, give your driving some thought and set the alignment to your driving instead of precisely to -0.750° like some alignment places/techs believe is the ideal setting for everybody.

Norm
Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
azrampage
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrumck
Amount of camber you want to have depends on
Anyway, you should have the alignment checked after any lowering
Yep. +++++++++

Interesting that no one here has mentioned checking toe after lowering. Improper toe will eat tires significantly faster than negative camber in daily driving, and it's been my experience that changing camber almost always affects toe.

Last edited by azrampage; 09-30-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Formatting