Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Eibach Pro Kit and Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM
mustangrob350

Default Eibach Pro Kit and Bump Stops

Hi Guys,
Has anyone installed the Eibach Pro Kit springs on their S197's and had to trim down the front and rear bump stops? I have spoken on the phone to people like Progressive Springs people and they say usually the front has to be trimmed otherwise the car with bottom out on the bump stop. So I called the guy who installed mine (he is in FL and I live in HI) and he told me that they did not trim them. So Progressive said that may be contributing to my very stiff ride. So I went out to check just the back bump stop clearance and found that I had about a little finger tip clearance and according to others that is not enough. I don't know what the clearance is for the front bump stops but am anxious to find out. I need to install new dampers front and rear and at that time I will be able to tell whether there is enough clearance or not. I am thinking about going with Tokico D-Specs. What do you all think about that? I chose them due to their ability to adjust the ride easily. I also considered the Koni Sports. Please let me know what you think about all of this.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Every Shelby GT has those springs (in Ford Racing guise) and not one come with cut stops. I raced one for 4 years, and never cut them... I've tried, but it's not real helpful because while you stay off them longer, when you hit them you hit them harder.

Rob, you seem to not want to accept that your shocks suck. Well, sort of I guess because you are thinking about changing them, but you still seem to think that you have other issues. You do. The springs aren't the best (or the worst to be honest). The dampers blow.

D-specs are no easier to adjust then Koni Sports are. They adjust in the same place for heaven's sake. They are cheaper (I have those too) but also not built as well. And I along with numerous others have had both and we all prefer the Koni's. But if you want the D-specs I have those as well......... Same kind of shipping to Hawaii I quoted you.

You will ask 50 people and get about that many opinions. But how many of those people own these cars? How many drive these cars? How many compete in these cars? How many have used the springs you have? How many have used other springs? How many have used numerous different dampers? I think you know the answer..... I fit all those bills.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:28 PM
mustangrob350

Hi Sam,
I am a nut I know it. And I can't ever make up my mind. Many people have other opinions on shocks and the last guy I talked to at Progressive suggested the D specs. Others suggested the Koni's. I was convinced at one time to go with the Koni's until yesterdays' conversation with Jeff. Now I wish I could just get the outcome I want with either shocks. And you Sam have been a big help. So maybe I should go with the Koni's (money no big deal) and either stay with the Eibachs or go with another shock. When I look at spring rates of the Stock springs front are 136lb/in rear 142lb/in, the Eibach Pro's rate both variable are front 173-248lb/in and rear 195-236lb/in, and the Steeda Ultra-lite 1.25/1.5 front 195lb/in and rear 175lb/in. So does this show that the Ulta-lites are not as compressed as the Eibach Pro's? Not sure what this really means other than they are both better than the stock since they are both variable right?

Thanks Sam,
Rob
Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Geez Rob you won't want to see the forest through the trees.

Just in the post you make I see where you make a number of assumptions about what "should" work when I'm tell you what DOES work. And I don't know who Progressive is, or who Jeff is. I know me. I sell both dampers, does Progressive? Do you think the might recommend what they have to sell?

I'm sorry to be so blunt but I feel like I'm chasing my tail with ya man. What is exactly that makes you waffle? If it's one of these deals where you are getting too many opinions, fine. Then I suggest you heed the one of the person with the results.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM
MOTRHD

Default Listen to sam

Hey just to chime in, Sam your the man! I have had F-bodies and now a Ford and you know both!
I believe that myself and others fall prey to the "opinion" of others and perhaps even the marketing skills of large companys, and then there's cost restrictions.
My question is..Do you have a linear rate lowering spring? Is there one?
Just made a lengthy post on cutting bumpstops in which I question why on a progressive rate lowering spring the top progressive coils always seem to be stacked...limiting travel to the lower 2/3's of the spring. As far as cutting bumpstops, on a stock setup the bumpstop is just that, a limit to maximum suspension travel? On the lowered setup it seems like it becomes an "active" part ot the suspension? So on the lowered setup shouldn't the distance between the frame and the bumpstop be like stock and juuust..beyound the limit of travel?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

There are linear lowering springs, There are progressives that have linear working rates... then there are truly progressive springs.

I use and recommend a truly linear version of Steeda Sports most of the time. Sometimes we might do other things if we need more rate, etc... but for street cars that's the preference for me. Note there are two versions of Sport springs, they are quite different, most have no idea there are. I understand the two versions and the differences, and only sell the one.

Bumpstops... aren't really stops per se. Ultimately they do limit travel, but they also add some spring rate that helps at times (and if you do it wrong, could hurt). So why stops vs. progressive springs? Well, simply put they don't return energy as hard as a spring does, and they are easier for shocks to deal with.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Just my humble experience-

Why anyone would want to do something cheap on their Mustang is a mystery to me. When I decide I want to do something to my pony, I do it. All out, with the best available parts. Why spend money on a part youll just upgrade later? Best to just do it right the first time.

Part of doing it right is listening to those with more experience than you. I know a few things about mustangs, but at the end of the day im just a weekend warrior mechanic. But there are those out there like Sam who know a helluva lot more than me. So when I order a suspension setup from Sam come January you can bet I will have whatever he recommends installed. Because all I know is I want to improve my suspension, and he does it for a living.